Tired of new guy questions? Sorry - this one re: 'vanity/branded' corals

jeremy052274

Non-member
Don't mean 'vanity' in a bad way.

I mean how there are brand names associated with some corals. The two I've noticed so far are ORA and Tyree. Can someone explain how they own/name these? Did they find them first? Do they do something with/to them to make them their own? Is there something I'm missing?

See you guys at the auction!

Ora is a company and tyree is steve tyree. Tyree likes to acquire unique corals grow em out and sell them as tyree this and that. Ora does similarly but is a large company. They sell stuff other than coral too though. We were all new at some point so ask away

ORA is a company that aquacultures corals and fish. IMO they are great for the hobby as they're more in line with sustainabilty of the hobby. They are usually one of the first to start aquaculturing fish; recently they have been one of the first to breed mandarin and raise them in captivity. They also try breeding two similar fish to create some new species...

Tyree basically gets sent a coral and he tests to coral to make sure it keeps its colors and "awesomeness" and if it does he labors them as a Tyree coral. And when this labeling happens the price skyrockets... People send him the corals because if they do end up getting labeled as Tyree they then are sitting on a mini gold mine until the supply catches up with the demand. Tyree has been k own to have waiting lists of frags for years... But basically Tyree corals are brighter and better than normal corals and only get that label from him if they hold it...

Back