Vortech MP40w on a 120

cakemanPA

Non-member
I am getting ready to hook up my new mp40w in my 120 tech tank. I am currently running 3 mod'd mj900s and a Koralia 4. I am not sure how many of the other powerheads can be eliminated. How much additional flow are those of you with mp40s using?

I still use 2 nanostreams to make the flow more random....in addition to my MP40

One thing to keep in mind is that the black film applied to Tech tanks has been a problem for some Vortech users. Supposedly there's something in the film that prevents a good magnetic hold. I read about it on RC. It might even be a sticky in the Ecotech Forum. Just a thought in case you're planning on sticking your VT on the back glass...

Also, be sure to use the adhesive tab and zip tie that come with the pump. The first day I used a VT I got bad vibrations from the pump half slipping due to its weight and weak magnetic hold on 3/16" glass. Since using the tab/tie, I've had no vibrations whatsoever.

I am planning pm mounting to one of sides so the black film won't be an issue. Thanks for the vibrations heads up. I think I am going to remove the Koralia 3 and 1 mj900 to start

One thing to keep in mind is that the black film applied to Tech tanks has been a problem for some Vortech users. Supposedly there's something in the film that prevents a good magnetic hold. I read about it on RC. It might even be a sticky in the Ecotech Forum. Just a thought in case you're planning on sticking your VT on the back glass...

Also, be sure to use the adhesive tab and zip tie that come with the pump. The first day I used a VT I got bad vibrations from the pump half slipping due to its weight and weak magnetic hold on 3/16" glass. Since using the tab/tie, I've had no vibrations whatsoever.

I run 2 mp40s in "reef crest random" mode at full power as the only source of flow in my 210 sps tank(in addition to the 1200 gph returns). IMO this produces more than enough flow, and I am very pleased with the distribution of flow as well as the randomized turbulence it produces. However, this may be due to the fact that there are 2 units facing each other, thus producing more random flow.
IMO, I think you would be fine with just the mp40 and the returns on a 120. Perhaps you may want keep the koralia 4 aimed opposite to the vortech to create more turbulence.

I will be finding out soon enough. I would really like to run it with just the returns. I will start with that and no powerheads turned on first and go from there

I have a 65G with 1 vortech plus my return and that is plenty for me. However I do want a 2nd so I can sync them together

2 MP40s in a 65 is some sick flow....
I can't imagine how much flow that must be... I have a lot of unhappy fish and an unhappy anemone over 1 mp40w in my 120. I have it set on lagoon mode and I have it dialed down some.

I use night mode. My YT swims right in front and swims against the flow during the day

Im not running it full blast only half way+ I only have 1. If I were to get a 2nd, I would reduce it even more.

Back