Who have Vortech mp40w?

Pinkskunk

BRS Member
What is your thought on them?

love it, hate it or just overpriced?

and most importantly, how would you rate the "quality"? is it noisy?

thanks

I have two of them in my 180 and I like them very much.

On the plus side, lots of flow. I run mine on reef crest mode at 100%. I found it's better to work with the undertoe rather than the direct output of the pump. The direct output (when run on full power like I do) is enough to strip coral flesh right off the skelton within a day or two. So I aim mine out into open water. The undertoe generated by the intake side of these pumps makes it so that I don't have any dead spots in the tank.

The quality is very good over all. My one complaint would be the non-water resistant housing on the controllers. They resist water intrusion like a screen door. For what they charge that could, and should be, at the very least be water resistant if not water proof.

Another plus is that they don't couple heat into the tank water where the electrical side is on the outside of the tank.

On the noise issue. You have to take your time to get the dry and wet sides aligned properly. If they aren't the pump will vibrate and be very noisy which will prematurely wear out the bushings in the wet side.

The one downside is that you can't really aim these pumps. They sit flat against the glass so the flow is always perpendicular to the glass. This can lead to mounting the pumps more forward on the glass than may be desirable if they are mounted to the side panels of the tank.

I have 2 on a 210

Basically what Dragon said...Maybe a tad over priced. I have yet to sinc them up so the run off one controller instead of 2.

rob

Only thing I don't like about it is that you can't aim the flow. So make sure you don't place anything in direct flow at 100%.

I love mine. I want a 2nd so I can sync em up with each other. If you go on youtube and search them you'll see the capabilities these things have in pulse mode.....crazy flow

ok i ordered mine and wait to see how it will "make wave" in a 4' tank..........

now my life is in danger as the wife will find out sooner or later :D

i have a 40 and a 10, both are great, strong, quiet, lots of flow. It is a bummer that you cant adjust the angle. Oh, and if you arent going to run the mesh filters that go around the propeller housing, watch out for your little fish, because the 40 on full blast is like a black hole that sucks everything in...

...... Oh, and if you arent going to run the mesh filters that go around the propeller housing, watch out for your little fish, because the 40 on full blast is like a black hole that sucks everything in...

thanks, i will watch out for the intake and see if my smallest Flameback angle would fit in there.

ok i ordered mine and wait to see how it will "make wave" in a 4' tank..........

now my life is in danger as the wife will find out sooner or later :D

How many gallon tank are you going to run your MP40 in?

Did you purchase more than one or a combination ?

I'm very fond of my MP40's, and run one in my 92, and the other in my 72. Reef Crest has good flow, but you can't really run them at full speed without hearing them some.

I mix up my 2 MP40's with tunze nanostreams to randomize flow

I have a mp20 and a mp40 and I haven't had much luck with either one, I have taken good care of them but who know maybe I got a bad batch

my tank is a 4' and it's a 120. I already have a closed loop with the OceansMotion

i bought this (only one unit) as an added bonus or you can look at it as a new toy :D i really dont need it at all (ok hope the wife is not reading this!) i guess i want to see the wave :eek:
How many gallon tank are you going to run your MP40 in?

Did you purchase more than one or a combination ?

what kind of problem do you have with them? how long ago did you buy them?

I have a mp20 and a mp40 and I haven't had much luck with either one, I have taken good care of them but who know maybe I got a bad batch

I just got an mp40w and I love it. I think it puts out more flow then me Tunze 6100's but the outside end of the unit seems to get pretty hot on full blast reef crest. Is this normal?

mine get purty hot, but it's better than the heat INSIDE. The heat might be that the 2 halves are a bit out of alignment

Yeah, definately better on the outside then inside, I just wanted to be sure it was not a problem with mine. I will check out the alignment to be sure.
Thanks.
You know what? I had an mp20 and bought the mp20 to mp40w upgrade, it came with the whole new control box and the new power supply, I just unplugged the old dry side from the mp20 controller (blue box) and plugged it into the new mp40w controller. (white box) and that was it, MP40w
So my point is this:
1 mp40 controller with power supply called an mp20 to mp40 upgrade kit $149
1 spare wet side $75
1 dry side $125
Thats a total of $350 instead of $419
Just thought I would share that info.

Last edited:
Which modes are people running there MP40 on?

Anyone have 2 or more synced ?

Anyone purchase the battery backup?

Don't mean to HJ this thread..

I am very disappointed with mine. It has been down for over a week. The wet side was loose, and kept jamming.When I took the unit apart the ceramic bushing was loose. I tightend it up (by hand), and after about 2-3hrs the screw broke. After 3 messages, and 2 calls back I finally got someone to talk to me. They said to send some pictures of the broken screw, and they would replace it. After a couple of days I emailed them, and they said they needed some more pictures to diagnose the problem. At this time I had thought a screw would have already been on its way back to me. I sent them the new pictures, and told them I really needed this screw. I waited two more days and got an email stating that they were still waiting for the pictures. The pictures were resent as a reply to the original email, so I know the address is correct. Now I am pissed, it has been 10days, and I dont even have an answer from tham as to what they are going to do. It is a freaking screw, they could have dropped it in an evelope.

I will give them some leway, as we did have a holiday. I also offered to buy a screw, because I am sure that they are goingto blame me for overtightening it. I didnt use any tools doing it, but I shouldnt have to anyway. The unit in question was used for 2 weeks. If I had paid for this I would be pissed.

Other than that it is nicely made, works great. The undertow is unbelievable, but very limiting in my tank. My tank isnt really the right setup to have one. I think it is way overpriced, and you prob need two in a tank to enjoy the full benifit of them.

I am def in the minority, so I must be doing something wrong. WOW, I feel better.

Which modes are people running there MP40 on?

Anyone have 2 or more synced ?

Anyone purchase the battery backup?

Don't mean to HJ this thread..

My two are synched and running at 100% on asynchronous reef crest mode.

An APC battery backup for computers is a better dollar value.

The problem I am having with my mp20 is that it only works for a few seconds and then stop and it start blinking red and green i read the manual and it says that the magnet could be rubbing the plastic or that the propeller could be block or jammed.I took it apart cleaned,check everything and nothing. I already had that problem once and what i did was i sunk the wet part in vinegar and it work i try it again recently but nothing. I'll tell you i spent an entire sunday messing around with that and i couldn't get it to work. It's been out of use now for about a month. I also have problem with the mp40 that one is been out for about two weeks. This one just stop and it starts to blink like four different colors again I try everything and I get nothing. So out one mp20 and two mp40 I only haven't had problems with one, and the battery back up I hope they don't give any, but personally after this experience I am having I don't recommend them there are cheaper pumps that are just as good and are less of a hassle. That just how I feel now who knows after I fix the problem. lol

Back