Want to build auto top off any ideas?

meemoo

Non-member
I want to build an auto top off. I am sick of adding every morning and now that summer is here I will be going away a couple of weekends. Can anyone help me. I know I lose about 2 quarts a day so if I set it up for once a week a 5g container should be fine, but what do you get and how do you go about building this thing? Any help appreciated:)

Do you have a sump and can you use a gravity fed system or do you need to use a dosing pump or something? If you can put a 5 gallon container higher than the water line in the sump then you can just use a Kent float valve. I got this from JustDavidP and it has worked great so far. The water level is maintained and you don't have to worry about fluctuations in evaporation like you would if you use a pump on a timer.

The only concern is you need to drill a hole to mount the float valve. I have plexiglass baffles in the sump so it was very easy. Would be more difficult if you need to drill glass.

Drilling small holes in glass sumps is very easy, even with the tank set up. Just get a 1/2" tile and glass bit from a hardware store (the kind that's shaped like an arrow).

Personally I've had fewer problems with the USplastic.com float valves than with the Kent ones, and they're much cheaper too.

Nate

I don't have a sump.:( I just replace the RODI everyday using a container and was hoping to set something up above the tank on a shelf.

Meemo,
I use a small air pump with a float switch spliced into the power cord. When the level gets too low, the air pump kicks on and forces water out of the reservoir. For the reservoir I use a glass carboy. I like the system because it's simple, reliable and does not need to be elevated.

Here's a link to some pre-assembled float switches.

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

Or, you can buy just the switch itself and DIY.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611599566&ccitem=

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Just make sure you have a snail guard over the float switch!

Steve

meemoo said:
I don't have a sump.:( I just replace the RODI everyday using a container and was hoping to set something up above the tank on a shelf.

You can get IV tubing and a IV drip-valve type thing from someone who works in a hospital or something like that, and just attach it a 5g container of some sort. (I used a 5g jug with a spigot from the Culligan station at WalMart). Or you can buy a Kent Doser, which is basically the same thing with the tubing and everything, but it's smaller.

Nate

Thanks I've decided to make a sump to solve lots of problems, heat to mention just one. What would you recommend a hang on siphon or a build in overflow? And can the build in be done if I have my tank drilled and would I have to have an overflow box built as well?

check out my tank drilling thread
http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10924
scroll to the bottom for pictures link

sump is the way to go. get all the unsightly stuff off/out of the display tank.

drilling for closed loop and internal overflow makes for the best setup but you have to empty the tank first. I was in the process of moving to my 90 so I could take my time. I see lots of people with the hand on side style overflows. I also read many threads about siphons breaking etc.

(got the idea and method from Nate)
http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9883&highlight=tank+drill

-Sean

What's the benefit of drilling for the closed loop? And is it necessary could you just have the built in overflow?

Having a closed loop allows people to hide the plumbing parts and operate 1 (usually) pump externally. Cuts down on heat from multiply powerheads and clutter. I have seen a few people build an overflow into their tank but it is delicate work and wont be a 1 hour prject. Search RC in the DIY forum for links on how to cut out the tank trim and build the attached over flow box. It does look very nice once completed but I was turned off after realizing I was going to have to cut the tank glass and trim. If you have an acrylic tank this idea is more suitable and I would encourage the overflow spaning 75% of the back of the tank. Calfo has a few threads on RC about a similar style overflow that aids in skimming. check it out.

Back