What epoxy does everyone use???

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
Curious to see what epoxy everyone uses and which one they like the best. I use ocean wonders purple epoxy. I found them on eBay and it works well. Only problem is they only sell a small tube and it gets used up fast. Wondering if there is a better one out there.

If you are referring to gluing frags, I use Super Glue Gel. A three pack at the dollar store is...one dollar. I don't have to worry about wasting any more than .33 worth of glue if I don't use it all in one shot. It works well for me for most things. The only "brand" name glue I have tried is EcoTech Marine's glue and it does work better for big pieces/colonies. It cures really fast and holds well.

I finally broke down and tried Eco techs coral glue. Though rather pricey, by far the best glue I have ever tried.

The only thing I don't like about it that because it cures so fast, it is tricky to glue pieces in underwater. It can be done but you need to move really fast. Otherwise, I agree, it holds fast and strong.

I'm not referring to gel to glue frags (I also use dollar store gel), I'm referring to the epoxy used to glue down plugs/disks to live rock

I've had good luck with Instant Ocean Hold Fast, similar to AquaStik. It's a two part epoxy putty that bonds underwater. As long as you combine it with a cyanoacrylic super glue sandwich, it bonds well and dries quite hard.

I haven't found an epoxy putty that bonds well on it's own. I've only found it effective using a layer of epoxy putty with cyano-acrylic super glue on the surface bonding to the rockwork and on the surface bonding to the coral rubble or whatever is being mounted. The epoxy provides a modable surface to match the rock work, but the bonding is better left to superglue. I had a lot of early, failed rock-to-rock bonding when I did my initial aqua scaping using epoxy putty alone. Better research would have prevented that.

I bought a bunch of the white colored epoxy, but wish I'd gone with the coraline purple. The white stands out against living rockwork until things grow over it. A purple or a greyer color would blend better.

Last edited:
I finally broke down and tried Eco techs coral glue. Though rather pricey, by far the best glue I have ever tried.

+1 on this. I'm really happy with the Ecotec glue. It's very similar to the gel super/crazy glue but it dries better and holds better underwater and on wet surfaces.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just used the exact same concept today cilyjr after reading an article "How to Glue Coral Frags" by "StevieT". I don't have the url but it was probably Nanoreef.com.

I was gluing a frag of Monitpora plate coral so gravity was against me but after about a minute and a half the epoxy seemed to cure enough to maintain the position. I'm glad I learned of this technique as previous attempts with super glue gel and my fat fingers was challenging in trying to guess where the contact point between frag and rock would be.

In the photo you can see the white JB Water Weld epoxy filling in a void at the bottom base of the frag.
Tank 1-5-2014 Side view upload.jpg

Ralph

Back