Clean sand bed

banshee1

Non-member
How the hell do you guys keep your sand beds so clean?! I use ro/did water, do my water changes all my water is crystal clear but my sand bed browns up all the time. I syphon it off but then it browns again.I've had my water tested, I'm color blind so I have a hard time doing it myself.it always tests fine.all my bulbs are brand new.I have plenty of flow.my skimming if fine.I don't get it and I'm getting frustrated

Conchs are great for cleaning the brown stuff, I use to have that problem. Added one of them and kept my sand spotless. Also how old is your tank? Sounds like diatoms, its normal for new tanks, but if your tank is mature and your doing everything your suppose to add conch to cuc, u won't be disappointed

ya people here always say more flow, but its impossible to increase flow without creating a sand storm, try the conch, trust me

What are you using for flow now and in what size tank? I would say increase flow and add a better CUC. As long as your powerheads are pointed correctly, you won't create a sandstorm.

Theres around 10 hermits and 15 or so misc snails.no turbos though.my snowflake eel likes to eat big snails

More flow will help keep junk off the bottom but something to stir up the bottom will help a lot as well, sand sifting star or such. You could def have more flow. I have a 125 with 2 mp 40's. They each can put out 3000 gph flow. As mentioned sounds more like more then a debris problem mabie diatom. Any pics.

2011-09-23_22-27-20_134.jpg
[/IMG]

im actually having the same problem right now. i feed every other day and the mantis every 3 or 4. i know it has do do with flow for me

Back