Importance of drip loops

KReardon99

Non-member
Set up my new tank a couple weeks ago because my old one cracked... I stupidly left a power strip under the stand on the ground.. Came home to this and a basement full of smoke... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357527188.331614.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357527200.589886.jpg
Looks like my ac70 was not level and may have leaked down the cord an right into the power strip.. Just a warning to all to check your electrical.

Dang! Good thing nothing else went up in flames.

Any losses because of this, or did you get lucky there?

Wow, good reminder for me to do some maintenance on my cords! I have everything plugged into GFCI adapters, but there are outlets directly behind my tank and I haven't done a very good job with drip loops. Thanks for the reminder to take care of this stuff before something happens!

Ya.. checked the Ac70 I just bought 2 weeks ago, it cracked where the water flows out.. Which in turn leaked down the back of the tank and wires.. Needless to say I spent some time mounting powerstrips and installing a gfi

man play the lottery, your very lucky, being a firefighter i have seen 3 fires all in hudson due to saltwater tanks.in three years. 2 just sh#t luck and one was just stupidity.

can i plug in GCFI adapter to outlet then everthing else from there?

How sensitive for it to trip?
Thx !
Pong

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

oh also. if the power went out, will GFCI trip and then reset itself back on?

oh also. if the power went out, will GFCI trip and then reset itself back on?

That would defeat the purpose. You want the current to stop until you manually intervene. Make sure your sump can handle the drainage.

the cons of not having a GFCI are shown in the original post. Electricity can end your life. You arent getting away with anything by not having them installed. It only borrowed time.

Forget about the extension cord adapters. They are junk. Spend the 15 bucks and swap out the outlet. You dont need to be an electrician and it takes less than 5 minutes. Follow the instructions as they need to be wired a certain way.

Back