The Importance of LIGHTS

smcnally

Tankless
I just thought I would share my recent lighting experience with everyone. I've always been a little on the cheap side with my lights. With my MH lighting, I first I went with generic bulbs and thought they were "Just fine!". Then when it was time to get new ones I, figured I would give XM 10k bulbs a shot. My colors seemed to fade a bit on my corals but not too bad. They also started growing nicely. I thought "Wow...Bulb brands and temp do make a difference". This last week it was time for new bulbs yet again. This time I wanted to go with a bit different K rating but keep the same general par I've had. From my research, the best bet was to go with Aqualine AB bulbs. I placed an order and because of a shortage had to swap my 175W bulbs out for Iwasaki 14K bulb witch actually have a higher PAR than the XM's I was running. So Monday I installed the new Iwasakis on each end of the tank and an Aqualine AB in the center. All I can say is the difference in my tank this last week is incredible! My stag corals that were healthy before have a thicker "skin" on them now with an even more beautiful color. The Idaho Grape has beautiful iridescent polyps that were not nearly as noticeable in the past year, and every SPS has it's polyps out more than ever. My cyano problem is going away on its own now too. The moral of the story here is DO NOT cheap out on bulbs. IME, you can get away with lower wattages, but the bulb brand and K rating seem to make all the difference in the world. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

so, you are saying you're getting better results with the AB or the Iwasaki, or are both better than the XMs.

BTW....were/are you using anything for actinics?

I'm running both the Aqualine AB and the Iwasakis in the same tank. The corals under both types of bulbs look better than they did under the XM's. I normally run 160W of actinic03 (2 80W T5 bulbs), but have only been running one of the bulbs for the last few months...I need another, but I just spent just shy of $300 on the MH bulbs, so that will have to wait a bit ;)

Back