unable to keep sps.

A way to see how saturated is your water with CO2 is to , pick up a glass of tank water. Measure the ph. Then take the glass outside and place inside an airline. Pump air for an hour and measure the ph again. Idea taken from a Randy Holmes article.

There are many good advice here. John, you are right.
One thing to add is that since you have a calcium reactor, you should dial it to raise Alk and calcium at the sand time if you think one parameter is low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I will suggest invest in a good pH probe instead of using test kit. Or a hand held pH meter that read to 0.01 pH unit from amazon for about $25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure the negligible reading is anything more than the waste and dying corals. It sis showing the lowest possible reading the kit can show so I'm not sure it is the problem causing the rapid death

I guess my question would be what do you think my parameters should be? I am going on the assumption that my levels are fine. The big one everyone has raised is the alk at 10.2 I don't think any other level was an issue. Ph at 8.3 calcium 450 mag 1250 nitrate nitrite ammonia phosphate all negligible. If this light test proves to not be my issue where would you think my next move would be. My reactor is set to keep my levels at these numbers. I have the ph probe in the reactor which gives me the same readings as my testing. Do you think I should pick up a different one to place somewhere else in the system?

I never used a Ca reactor. But from my recent experience and readings with Phos. At 0 and Nitrates at 0 the Alk has to be near the ocean level. Your Ca around 400-420 and the Mag value you have looks OK. I never measure it dur to my frequent WC.

If I understand correctly, is the pH probe in the calcium reactor gives the same pH reading as your tank water?
If that is the case, there is an issue.

Why is that an issue? I calibrated the probe with 4.0 and 7.5 and 9.0. The water in the reactor matches what I get from testing and when the reactor turns the co2 on the ph probe reads the change and turns the co2 off. Then the water drips out and new tank water is pumped in and the number adjusts to the changes made and either turns the co2 back in to adjust more or stays off if the water is at the level I set the probe to 8.3 in this case... Isn't that how I should have it set up?

If I understand correctly, is the pH probe in the calcium reactor gives the same pH reading as your tank water?
If that is the case, there is an issue.

Why is that an issue?

I don't think you understand how CA reactor works. The media in the reactor need a much lower PH in order to be dissolved and support your ALK and CA and some MG needs. If you're PH in the CA reactor the same as the tank, it could mean two things. If you're dissolving the media at PH <7.0, your tank will not survive. I don't think this is your case. If the probe is >7.5, the media is not dissolving and your CA reactor is nothing but a media holder. Anything between 7.0-7.5 is in a quasi state.
After reading this, I think the best way for you is to have something come over and look at the tank set up. I just moved out of Lowell recently and still in the area quite often. This may be an option for you.

Yeah if it set up wrong I would really like to know. I didnt set it up it was set up by a fish maintenance company back when I got the system. But from what I have read and what they explained to me about the rx1 calcium reactor is the way it works is the pump draws water in from the sump. In sends it into the chamber on top and the ph probe reads the ph of this water. the ph in this chamber should be the same as the tank water. when the ph drops in the tank the probe reads it and turns on the co2 bottle which dissolves the media. when the media dissolves the ph and raises the ph of the water in the chamber . the probe turns the co2 off and the reactor drips the water (with the dissolved calcium ) back to the sump and flows to the tank. the reactor then flush out all the dissolved calcium water and the probe reads the ph of the water now being drawn in. If the ph is still out of range the reactor turns back on and the cycle begins again. I have watched this process play out and it does do exactly what I am describing. is this wrong?? IMG_0659.JPG

Yes it is wrong. I would take Nick's offer if I were you.

I think what the maintenance company was trying to say is that the controller will shut down the Ca reactor if the PH in the tank falls below a set point.

Nick already explained, but just to reiterate; The reactor dissolves calcium carbonate material, thereby releasing Ca, alk and Mg into the water. It works by taking tank water with normal ph into the reactor and circulating it in the reactor. In the reactor, Co2 is added do drop the PH down. When the PH in the reactor gets down to @ 6.8 the media starts to dissolve. The PH in the reactor should be below 7, and if too much Co2 is added and or the flow through the reactor is too fast, then it can/will feed too much Co2 into the tank water, driving the PH below it's normal low.

If the PH in the reactor is the same as the tank PH, then it's not being fed Co2 do to a set up problem, or the Co2 tank is empty :)

Ok I just went and found a manual for the reactor and I understand what you guys are saying. doing it this way will make it so there is always dissolved affluent in the chamber dripping back i will correct that. I will set the reactor probe to turn on the co2 at 6.8 as they have suggested. My bubble to drip ratio is set as they have suggested so everything else should be ok. I am questioning if I should change this now though. I have been assuming this was keeping my ph/alk/clacium levels where they are it seems to turn on and off and the numbers have been solid. However if I was to set this the way the directions describe at least initially my tank will be dosed with a large amount of affluent driving my calcium and ph up and more importantly it will bring up my alk which you have all said is too high. So I am thinking i will wait for the light test to be over then make the adjustments to the reactor after I get the alk settled in the next test (again assuming the lights are not the problem). But if anyone wants to come by and help with any of this mess i am open to that and thankful you would.

The reason is that you don't have much calcium consuming coral in your tank and I doubt you even need a reactor or dosing for soft coral.

There are many good advice here. John, you are right.
One thing to add is that since you have a calcium reactor, you should dial it to raise Alk and calcium at the sand time if you think one parameter is low.

Dong am I reading this right? You should never use a reactor to raise ALK or CA only maintain those parameters. it reads to me as if you are advising him to use the reactor to raise his parameters.

I'm not sure the negligible reading is anything more than the waste and dying corals. It sis showing the lowest possible reading the kit can show so I'm not sure it is the problem causing the rapid death

It shouldn't show any reading of ammonia what so ever. SPS are extremely finicky. First thing you do when you have a problem is get rid of the variables ammonia reading means stop and re evaluate how you run your tank and get an absolute zero reading.

As far as you parameters. Alk 8-10, Ca 400-450, Mg 1350-1450 and let PH fall where it may. Chasing PH is a death sentence for your corals.
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite do not even test
Nitrate under 10ppm

You need to stop and seperate each issue starting with you Nitrogen cycle i.e ammonia issue
then work on balancing your system Alk, Ca, Mg
Then once you get this all in order and the tank is stable then worry about SPS.

Ok I performed this test. I took a water sample and tested it it was 8.3 I took a cup filled it with tank water took it outside put in an air line and let it aerate for 1 hr and tested ph. The two vials were less than a shade different I had to hold the vials up to a light to notice that the 2 nd sample was slightly darker. It wasn't a full shade on the scale darker but slightly. You didn't tell me what the out come should be. I am assuming this is good as it means my tank has a lot of oxygen in it before aeration. Is this correct?

Calcium reactor can be used to raise Cal and Alk. All you need to do is to adding Kalk to balance out the pH drop.

Ok I performed this test. I took a water sample and tested it it was 8.3 I took a cup filled it with tank water took it outside put in an air line and let it aerate for 1 hr and tested ph. The two vials were less than a shade different I had to hold the vials up to a light to notice that the 2 nd sample was slightly darker. It wasn't a full shade on the scale darker but slightly. You didn't tell me what the out come should be. I am assuming this is good as it means my tank has a lot of oxygen in it before aeration. Is this correct?
Just means that you are not pushing your PH down with CO2, Which is good

From there you should stop worrying about PH in you tank and concentrate on maintaining Alk, Ca, and Mg

Calcium reactor can be used to raise Cal and Alk. All you need to do is to adding Kalk to balance out the pH drop.
It's bad advice. It's fine as an experienced reefer if that is what you do, but not good to tell someone learning to use a reactor

Back