unable to keep sps.

johnnyb

Non-member
Been a while since I have posted but really just kind of getting back active in the hobby. My son just headed off to college last month so I was looking for a hobby instead of chasing him around to sports every night and decided to get back in to the hobby I already have. Well my wife want my tank to look like the display tanks we see and go wow. So I started off with my system having a lot of hair algae. I began to clean that up pulling most out by hand and adding some sea hares that took care of it. My system consists of a 180 gallon and a 54 gallon corner display tank. My 180 has 3 devils hands 2 large carpet anemones 7 rose bubble anemones. It has 5 clown fish a purple tang 4 blue cromis 2 cardinals. My 54 which is tied in to the same filtration has dwarf puffers 2 spotted and 1 Im not sure of the name. It has a black angel and a clown trigger (dont bother telling me about the size of the fish in the 54 they are all below 3 inches and I have my 180 to transfer them to along with my son in law has a 180 and a 260 tank that we transfer large fish to as they out grown the tanks). I recently added to my 180 a torch, and a green hammer ,Duncan,along with a couple small frags of monti cap, war coral, My miami, some differnet color zoas, Strawberry shortcake, red planet, bonsai, favia, Hollywood stunner, and a couple small frags I forget the name of. So here is where the problem comes in.

A couple days after adding the caps they turned white and have died. The other sps over a few weeks have lost the flesh and have died also. The only ones that seem to be doing ok is the hollywoods. The soft stuff looks and are doing great. I went looking for a thread on the internet to find how people fix this issue. Of course I found about 100000 threads with every possible cause known to man but not one thread had a conclusion to success. I decided to post my upcoming battle to have a thread that hopefully will have a happy conclusion.

So here is my system my display tanks drain down to my basement I have a 100 gallon rubbermaid tote with about 100 lbs of rock that my 180 drains to. I use a sock filter to filter solids and prevent micro bubbles from the long fall. My 54 flows back to a 55 gallon sump with a protein skimmer that skims about a cup per day of dry foam. my sump then pumps up to a 55 gallon refuge filled with cheato that drains through a media and then has pump that pumps out to a dual tube reactor with 1 side filled with carbon the other side filled with phosban. My refuge also has a tube that goes to a pump on an rx1 calcium reactor. the rx1 has a ph probe that measures ph and uses carbon dioxide to dissolve calcium media and drips back to the lower 55 gallon sump. Then all sumps flow back to the 100 gallon tote and is pumped back up stairs. all drains are positioned so pods and treated water runs back to the sump and treated water is returned back to the displays with out going thru skimming or refuge. I have a temp probe to control temp. I have a 55 gallon tank that is connected to a rodi system that auto tops off. I have a 30 gallon barrel that has another rodi for water changes that I transfer to another barrel for salt mixing and temp control before doing water changes. I have a ground probe in my tanks to prevent stray current. I have a hammerhead gold return pump.

In my 180 I have a deep sand bed with approximatley 200 lbs of live rock my 54 has a shallow sand bed with around 75 lbs of rock. My 54 has an additional hang on the back skimmer that skims about 1 cup every week. I have a jeabo wr 25 pump in the 54 along with a koralia 450 gph. My 180 has 2 jeabo wr 25 and a koralia 450 gph.I have a maxi jet power head to bring more water up from the back of the tank to the top. my tanks returns 30 gallons per minute to my sumps.

I have 2 Ai hydra 26 and 1 hydra 52 over my 180 and a sol blue over my 54. My lights are currently 10 inches over the water. My 180 is a bow front so My sand bed is about 37 inches from my light. The top of my rock is about 6 inches from the top of the water. So I can adjust coral heights to almost any depth. My lights come on with just blues at 11 am they ramp up for 1 hr to 12 percent at 1 pm my lights ramp up to full spectrum of 60 percent at 5 pm my lights begin to go down for 2 hrs to 12 percent then the blue moon lights stay on till 10 pm. my pumps are set to random motion and are wified together to alter current

I do water changes weekly though during the winter this year i performed no maintenance on the system for 7 months and had no change in water quality. My System after neglecting it for those months showed a rise in only phosphate. water changes and phospban were used to correct that situation. I only fed fish during thst time period no dosing no water changes no media changes in reactors... I didnt even change my rodi filtration.

My chemistry is as follows all tests done with red sea and red sea pro kits

Ph 8.3 ph probe calibrated to match
alk 10.2
phos 0
nitrate -.025
nitrite 0
ammonia -.025
mag 1250
calcium 450
temp 80 degress
salinity 1.24
I purchased new kits as well as having water tested at local fish stores. All numbers have been rock steady for over 1 month and were set prior to adding corals. I haven't had to does any chemicals this month other than using 8.3 reef buffer and soda ash prior to adding corals to bring my ph up from 7.7 and my alk to 10.2. After initial dosing and adjustment to calcium reactor I haven't had to does.

I feed my tanks mysis, krill, and clams, I use reef gumbo and fuel along with another amino acid I forget the name of at the moment. I feed the coral food twice a week and feed the solid foods every other day. spot feeding at least 2 times per week.

I am stumped The corals are not dying slowly this is rapid death. I have never seen any fish or pests bothering the coral. nor are any corals close enough to sting each other. I have hired a fish company (one of the brs sponsors) to come out and help me find what is going wrong. All corals i have added were fully healed and dipped prior to adding. All came from led lit systems and showed signs of encrusting prior to purchase. I will up date this as we try things and hopefully find a conclusion. If you can think of any other info i should add to this let me know. I am including pictures of the system though these are older and dont reflect the new pump and addition of the rubbermaid tote.My lights in the picture have been upgraded from the sols and lowered.

Does our RODI system has a carbon block filter?

Yes they are 4 stage rodi systems on top off and water change. They both have carbon filters.

I don't have much helpful advice for you, but just want to say I feel your pain. I feel like there is ALWAYS at least something in my tank that is not doing well; whether it be a fish, invert, coral, algae, equip etc. It sure is frustrating, especially at times like your's when you try to do everything right and every param etc checks out ok but yet you still can't figure out the cause.

I think as hobbyists a lot more goes on in our tanks than we actually know about or see. One of those things I've been thinking about more and more lately is coral warfare. I honestly never gave it much more thought than just making sure my placement of corals were far enough away, but when you think about how we are enclosing such a diverse population of these "animals" in a small environment it makes me wonder if that's enough. A personal example is for the past month or so my toadstool has frequently had polyps retracted and fragments of it spawning off the mother colony. While this always happened time to time with this coral (I've had it for years), it usually only last a few days. Well just the other day I see what looked like a little bit of slime coat from the leather attached to one of my SPS. At first I thought it was just small piece of hair algae and didn't think much of it. The next day I look and that whole section of SPS was dead and white. Looking a little closer when I took out the fragged dead piece I could clearly tell it wasn't algae, and can only believe it's perhaps slime from my leather. :(

Anyway, again sorry this probably wasn't helpful for your situation but best of luck figuring it out. This hobby can be a real love/hate relationship, at least for myself and my wallet. :)

This could actually be helpful to my issue. I have read some threads where it was suggested the leathers and such could be giving off toxins. The problem is I never found a thread that said yep took out my leathers and corals are growing crazy. I have considered moving my leathers to my son in laws 180 for a while to see if this helps. I won't to wait for the company coming out to check things over to see if they don't say oh it's just this and disrupting my tank was for nothing. The only thing i wonder about is if you go to some fish stores they will have soft coral in the same tank or at the very least the same system without an issue. One store i frequent hassle some coral growth and they have soft coral right there with them. But again my object will be to find what is causing this and report my findings here. Seems like a lot of people have this issue

Thing is it could even be something in the air. What kind of chemicals do you use regularly to clean your house? Do you spray anything in the tank vicinity? You could also have a piece of equipment or a used tank leaching something into the water. Do you know the history of everything that's part of the system, glues used, etc?

We use no sprays in the display tank room (have had that problem long time ago) we use Clorox wipes but not near water and we dilute them for the glass. No chemical are used in the basement. I have had this system going on 6 years now no repairs have been made. The only chemicals we have used are the regular ones for the plumbing but again this system has been running for 6 years and aside from water changes the system tops off 15 gallons a day in evaporation. None of my fish or inverts or soft corals and nems have ever had an issue

Leather can affect SPS but not in the extend that cause rapid death.
What kind of flow do you have? By the way, Hollywood stunner is not an SPS and it can tolerate wild range of water quality.

My 54 has an additional hang on the back skimmer that skims about 1 cup every week. I have a jeabo wr 25 pump in the 54 along with a koralia 450 gph. My 180 has 2 jeabo wr 25 and a koralia 450 gph.I have a maxi jet power head to bring more water up from the back of the tank to the top. my tanks returns 30 gallons per minute to my sumps.

ah good to know on the stunner thanks... havent done much with anything but the soft stuff and nems still learning

sorry cut and pasted too much of that

Last edited:
In my opinion ( might be wrong ) but to me your params are a bit off for sps not far but maybe worth a looking in to. In my system I can tell when params get too high bu growth patterns and it does best around 8.5 or under alk calcium around 420 and mag at 1300 phosphates under0.1 ideal is considered .05 but I have never seen an issue with it a bit higher. Also believe it or not sps loves iodide and potassium but if you don't test for it err on side of caution in other words aim low I also wonder how much those nems move around even if they hit lps or softies that may cause toxin release you have a lot to look at and I would go back to basics and employ a process of elimination from there

While i have read and heard 100 different ideal values for chemistry no one feels the rapid death I experience is caused by the parameters I maintain. I have heard reduced growth and slow die off from wrong parameters but not what I am experiencing. I use coral life salt which from what I have been told my water changes should keep these potassium and iodine levels ok... but again those levels being off dont seem to be able to be attributed to the rapid death.

I have a 2 chamber reactor that i put cotton on the bottom then take the phosban and rinse in a bucket of rodi water and then again in a bucket of saltwater so no white dust is left. i put the phosban in the reactor on top of the cotton then top with another cotton . charcoal is treated the same way on the other side. the refuge tank has a pump that pumps water to the reactor then the reactor drains back into the lower sump and out to the tote

reactor.jpg

So how old / mature is this system? If I'm following correctly it's very new, if that is correct then the system may need time to become more mature and stable (think increasingly complex bacterial populations and natural food webs).

Also It sounds like there are multiple anemones, is there any chance of contact/stinging? (it could happen at night or when you are otherwise not looking) I also wonder about possible sweepers from the hammer coral?

The system is 6 years old the only difference is I started adding sps a month ago. The lights were just updgraded last month also. I have lots of pods and stuff growing so I think that stuff should be good. The anenomes are at least 10 inches from any of the stuff Im having issues with and they have been in the system 4+ years and I have never seen them move. The hammer and torch are in the lower sand bed and well over 12 inches from any coral. all the coral is on the rock.

Ah, OK. I admit it, I skimmed the initial post :)

I would still wonder about the possibility of sweepers doing some stinging overnight.

I also wonder if there may be an issue of toxins from the soft corals or otherwise accumulated that didn't bother the livestock you had in there for years, but that would affect the newer and more sensitive additions. Even with regular, reasonable sized water changes a good amount of who knows what might accumulate. Have you tried running a poly filter to see if it detects any unexpected nasties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, OK. I admit it, I skimmed the initial post :)

I would still wonder about the possibility of sweepers doing some stinging overnight.

I also wonder if there may be an issue of toxins from the soft corals or otherwise accumulated that didn't bother the livestock you had in there for years, but that would affect the newer and more sensitive additions. Even with regular, reasonable sized water changes a good amount of who knows what might accumulate. Have you tried running a poly filter to see if it detects any unexpected nasties?

one thing I would add is the hammer and torch were only added last week and the cap and war coral died long before that. Anemone or some type of stinging is possible but again i find it unlikely. The toxins is something i am seriously considering. What is this poly filter you mention I am not familar with that?

Poly filters are really cool, it's a filter pad that will pull all sorts of contaminants out of the water, AND will turn specific colors based on what it is removing. It's filtration that almost has toxin test kits built in.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Poly_Fil...Media-Poly_Bio_Marine-PB1111-FIFMMEPM-vi.html

"Poly-Filter turns color when removing medications. Aqua to Dark Blue: Copper or Copper salts. Orange: Iron. Bright Red: Aluminum. Bright Yellow: Ammonia, Amines or Solvents. Dyes: Color of the solution when added i.e. Methylene Blue: Pale Blue. Malachite Green: Light Green, Tannins/Humic acid: Dark Brown, Organic Wastes: Light Tan progressing to Dark Brown. Poly-Filter extends time between water changes. Add de-chlorinated water to make up for evaporation loss. If pH shifts below acceptable level change water and add a new Poly-Filter. Heavy slime producing water conditioners can surface coat Poly-Filter and interfere with absorption performance. In marine water, soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide then rinse (in freshwater) well. In freshwater soak in 10% marine salt water solution then rinse (in freshwater) well."

Back