Power Outages

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
So who here lost power and is still without it. After dodging the bullet many times in my reefkeeping journey, last night's heavy rain and high winds were the last straw to break the camel's back. I was woken up from my doggos clawing my bedroom door at 430 and wondered why there wasn't any cool air blowing out of the split above my bed, that's when it dawned on me. Made my way outside to find a huge limb across my driveway inhibiting leaving the premises. My father got out the chainsaw and made some light work out of the situation. That's when we went on the hunt for a generator. First store, gates down and no one there to open it, second store was Lowes, they said they had plenty in a lock but cash only. That's great if you keeps wads of paper around your home. Next Lowes was about 35 mins away but hadn't any left. Ended up finding a Predator 2000 watt generator inverter about 20 miles south of there. Reviews are pretty good considering the low price of $530. Of course when we got home, I hadn't checked about oil. This is when a other massive limb fell across the driveway again. Tank temps were already lowered down to right above 70 degrees. I'm on my third tank of gas so far and all is well tank wise anyways. House is dark and cold but tanks look like they have missed a beat, I'll keep a close eye on things for the next month or so. Big tree snapped in half and missed taking out the shed and 2 month old ride on mower by about a foot. Numerous sections of chain link taken out and stockade as well. Moral of this story is if you don't have a generator or some type of backup, sooner or later it will bite you in the arse hard.
PXL_20211027_150335454.jpg
PXL_20211027_145604936.jpg
PXL_20211028_022226391.jpg

Lost power at 4 this morning. I know this because my daughter came and woke us up to tell us that the power was out. Asked why she needed to wake us up to tell us that. She was worried about the fish tank. She's a great girl did i say that yet. LOL.

Luckily we have our own utilities in my town so we had power back by 8:30. They are really good about this stuff.

Hope the best to all others with power outages.

I’m in the same boat as you Paul. I lost power 5:30 am yesterday.
I have a generac that is a beast. I shut it off last night and just started it again this morning.
anyone who has lots of money invested needs to buy a generator bottom line. Those Predator generators are pretty good for the money.

I am thinking since I have a nano reef with 5 total plugs fir the entire system....I might get a batter bank, then I saw Harbor Freight solar panels, but there is also camping back packs that have attached solar panels....My tank is in the doorway, I can collect all day sun on my road to keep battery bank(s?) powered up.....during power outtages, or the collapse of civilization!

Update, national grid is now saying tonight by 11:45pm, we shall see. Went out early this morning and filled a couple 5 gallon gas cans.

Update, national grid is now saying tonight by 11:45pm, we shall see. Went out early this morning and filled a couple 5 gallon gas cans.
Good luck Paul.
My power went out 3AM on Wed and just got restored 10:30A. Saw an Koran angle on the bottom of the tank before heading out to work this morning. Will see the damage tonight

So the first time I setup a salt water tank. We got hit by that crazy storm and was out of power for 13 days. Luckily my neighbor had an extra generator that I was able to use to keep things kind of stable and get some heat in my house.

when homedepot finally got generators they were no return policy if you wanted one. I bought a 5k generator.

after that I paid to have it direct wired into my electrical box and now if I have power out I just start it up and kick a transfer button and all essentials are running, fish tank is on the essentials list :)

would not have a tank without it.

You just need to decide on the size. Heaters take a sh** ton of power so if you have big heaters you need a good generator

Try having power go out at 10:30 tuesday night and still off.
have not seen a truck in my neighborhood in days.
I called Middleboro gas and Elect.. and my thoughts are...they service the whole town of middleboro before they even think about Lakeville,, where I live?
anyone know how that works?

Been out since Tuesday at 930. Saying don't expect power until Saturday at 1145pm. Definitely what we needed before our open house.... Thankfully we have a Troy bilt 7500watt generator that's been a beast these few days. Runs pretty much our whole house including my 180gallon

Last edited:
dodged a bullet with this storm on the north shore. I have 6500 watt genset directly wired like Jpags. it is important to start them quartly and put a load on them Obuse a 1500 watt electric heater. it is great to have it but you still have to test and maintain regularly so it works when you need it. hope everyone’s takes make it through.

Try having power go out at 10:30 tuesday night and still off.
have not seen a truck in my neighborhood in days.
I called Middleboro gas and Elect.. and my thoughts are...they service the whole town of middleboro before they even think about Lakeville,, where I live?
anyone know how that works?
That sucks. I'm on MG&E also but I live near DT. not sure how it makes a difference but sorry for your problems. If you need any help let me know, not far from lakeville.

Good luck Paul.
My power went out 3AM on Wed and just got restored 10:30A. Saw an Koran angle on the bottom of the tank before heading out to work this morning. Will see the damage tonight
Update on the Koran?

So multiple times to the latest update was stating 11:45PM Friday night, but as if now it's back to Saturday before midnight. I had to meet someone in Cambridge today to drop off an RO/DI unit that they won at the Coral Symposium. I got home about 4Pm and noticed the tanks were not running. My genius father decided to plug in the refrigerator to save less than $200 worth of food. He told me tank were only offline for about half an hour which turned out to be BS as temps were in the high 60's, low 70's again. Currently sitting at 75.6* so I figure somewhere around 3-4AM temps should make their way back up to 77.5*

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

I just gave away my old generator to a friend a couple weeks ago. Bad timing or you could have had mine. Worked awesome but now got a whole house generator.

Back