power outages

molsen187

Non-member
i recently had to move to my sis house in plaistow nh. there seems to be a lot of power outages. they happen in the middle of the night and don't last too long. i'm going to be possible setting up a new 90g tank since i couldn't bring my 55 with me. what i'm nervouse about is the possibility of flooding her basement(don't think she would appreciate that) is that what an overflow is designed for. i've never had one. if so are the ones that come in tanks good enough or should i add one to the stand and plumb it into the tank with the sump and fuge. any help would be greatly appreciated. if i can't figure out what to do about the possible floods, i wn't be getting a tank while i stay here.

really, i see all you people checking out my post figured someone who have some advice by now lol. i know it only been a litltle bit so i just need to be patient and someone will know the answer i'm just impatient. not a good quality in this hobby lol.

Basically you have to have a sump that is big enough to hold all the water that will drain from the tank. You make holes in the return pipe right below the water level so that it breaks the syphon. Basically you just fill up the sump with the power out turn it on and then unplug it and see how much more water you can add before it overflows...

Just get a reef ready tank so if the power goes out and the pumps stop pumping not a pig deal. Because what goes in the tank from the pump overflows back down to the sump. Thats what i would do if i where u

i recently had to move to my sis house in plaistow nh. there seems to be a lot of power outages. they happen in the middle of the night and don't last too long. i'm going to be possible setting up a new 90g tank since i couldn't bring my 55 with me. what i'm nervouse about is the possibility of flooding her basement(don't think she would appreciate that) is that what an overflow is designed for. i've never had one. if so are the ones that come in tanks good enough or should i add one to the stand and plumb it into the tank with the sump and fuge. any help would be greatly appreciated. if i can't figure out what to do about the possible floods, i wn't be getting a tank while i stay here.

My guitar player lives in Plaistow and complains of power outages all the time.

I can say this. Depending on what type of corals you keep, get a battery back up and attach a low power powerhead to it so that if you lose power you can keep the flow going at least.

During the ice storms a single APC 1500 kept a Tunze 6100 running for over 14 hours. Long enough for me to react and get a generator. I didn't lose any coral.

Those won't work with heaters for more than a few minutes so I would worry about flow more than heat. You'd be surprised how low a temp coral can handle. We freak out but they can hang in there in chilly water for a while.

thanks everyone. my sis had a generator after this winers ice storm, but i was thinking of gettting a battery operated air stone or somthing along those lines. so as long as i get a reef ready tank and have a sump on the bottom there should be no problem in setting up the tank.

Basically you have to have a sump that is big enough to hold all the water that will drain from the tank. You make holes in the return pipe right below the water level so that it breaks the syphon. Basically you just fill up the sump with the power out turn it on and then unplug it and see how much more water you can add before it overflows...
+1 on this
that's how my 155 is set up and i have a small sump and fug under. when i shot off the pump i watched the water level in the sump go up and when it stopped i topped off the sump then turned it back on and marked the sump so i know where to fill it to and where not to go over and flood my house

so i should just fill the sump up and turn the power off. would i do this befor i filled up the tank completly. this is all just research i'm won't be setting up my new tank for a few weeks, so don't get upset when you answering similar questions in a few weeks when i'm actually doing the set up. all help is greatly appreciated as always. i'll figure this hobby out eventually lol

Back