gfi blowing on power outages

merk1_99

Salting away
Does anyone's GFI blow on power outages? Mine blows everytime. Actually I think it blows when the power is restored. Its wired correctly....And my tester blows it correctly. Is it blowing because there is such an initial draw of electricity at once? Or is the socket bad and need to be replaced?

I was using the portable GFI 's (like a short extension cord with a box in the middle) these would trip everytime the electricity went out, even for a second(I think they are designed this way). I've since replaced the recepticles in the wall with GFI's and haven't had the problem since.

Did you do it yourself .... or did an electrician do it. I had my basement sump area installed by a pro ... I dont have that problem.

Here are some trouble shooting ideas. Try flipping the breaker switch, while unplugging some high draw items one at a time... seems like your GFI is acting like a circuit breaker. Is all the wiring of the same amperage/gauge of the the GFI and CB. (i.e 20 amp breaker, 12 gauge wire, 20 amp GFI) maybe your over loading it. should be one circuit for your lights one for your return pump then much of the other equiptment can run on another. But IMO all should be 20/12/20.

If no one has figured this out by Monday, i will run it by him on monday when i see him next. IMO there is a problem if your GFI is tripping and not your CB it seems unusual you probably have too much draw.

Sounds like you may need to consider rewiring your receptacles ...

Len

Did you do it yourself .... or did an electrician do it. I had my basement sump area installed by a pro ... I dont have that problem.

Here are some trouble shooting ideas. Try flipping the breaker switch, while unplugging some high draw items one at a time... seems like your GFI is acting like a circuit breaker. Is all the wiring of the same amperage/gauge of the the GFI and CB. (i.e 20 amp breaker, 12 gauge wire, 20 amp GFI) maybe your over loading it. should be one circuit for your lights one for your return pump then much of the other equiptment can run on another. But IMO all should be 20/12/20.

If no one has figured this out by Monday, i will run it by him on monday when i see him next. IMO there is a problem if your GFI is tripping and not your CB it seems unusual you probably have too much draw.

Mine does that....All of them.

Sounds like you may need to consider rewiring your receptacles ...

Len

You can say that again....oh...you did

What is on the ciruit?
Initial startup draw can be much higher on certain items then when they are running.
MH lights can have a much higher startup then when they are running
Heres a link to startup watts
Scroll down & checkout the PFO rating = 3a running, 7a startup!!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667

I have (3) GFI circuits for the tank(s). 1st outlet is a GFI, the rest are normal.
I only run 20a ciruits for outlets
I have a GFI ciruit for each bathroom - same way
I have a (2) GFI ciruits for outside outlets - same way
I have (2) GFI ciruits for pool - GFI breaker

I haven't had any of these kick due to power outage
Same at the last house

I wired it myself done it many times.

I 'm pulling 360-375 watts... I don't think that is too much...

That's not much.plenty of room for overdraw. something on that line is pulling a big load at start up or it's a faulty gfi.Is it the same manufacture as the other ones that you installed?could be it designed that way.my guess faulty.

If i'm not mistaken. I think he was referring to a Power outage...

When power is restored, the GFCI doesn't come on till you hit the reset button.

Let me claify mine, I have GFCI Breakers (these have that problem with poweroutage) that go to my GFCI outlets (these don't have that problem) that plug into my GFCI Power strips (these do have that problem of not comming on with a power failure). Call me cautious, but i've been zapped to many times....The last time really bad....

As for why the power strip GFCI doesn't come back on....I believe it's the way it was designed...

I had a problem with my GFCI when I ran my metal halide ballasts on it. It would trip occasionally when they turned on. I think it was a problem with startup current exceeding its limits. I plugged the halides directly into another receptacle (on a non-GFCI circuit) and didn't have the problem anymore. I'd be willing to bet that your problem has to do with the current surge of everything starting up at once. Also, it could be compounded by the actual power surge itself and the energy transfer that occurs with everything in your house restarting.

So if you increase the amerage of the GFCI circuit would the problem of start-up go away?

Is that as simple as changing the switch in the electrical panel or does it also require changes to the GFCI outlet?

I have the feeling it is from the intial start up of the T5's. I need to go to Home Depot and I'll switch it out. A good little 20 min project. When I use my tester it blows out correctly. Plus I dribble a slight amount of water on it a few weeks ago and it blew properly....So it seems to be working correct, just not in a power outage restart....

Back