Search results

1. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

The pics I took aren't worth posting, but a neighbor of mine this weekend said that Country Gardens in Rowley had a good selection of "pond fish". I have not visited it, but if I lived closer to Rowley, I would "give it look". https://countrygardens-rowley.com/
  2. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

I'll see about a pic, but they are in the pond, so it will be "top view". Pricing .... small ones (~3") $18/ea (what I picked up) .... 5" range ..$35 and it goes up from there. Currently there are only a few of the small ones left (inside), but setup in the parking lot are quite a few...
  3. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

Picked up 5 koi at Uncle Ned's today ... Cheers! to everyone's inputs
  4. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

It's possible, but when Heron or a mink get in there ... the fish just disappear (eaten). In this case, I went down to the pond ~ mid March and could see the goldfish swimming under the ice and then noticed there were Koi frozen into the ice or just under it (pond was about 95% frozen over at...
  5. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

Their metabolism slows way down when the water get's cold, but, you can still see them swimming below the ice.... just not very fast. Beside "gas exchange", #1 key item in keeping your fish alive during the winter is don't feed them when the water temperature goes below 50F. I typically stop...
  6. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

What is critical in keeping koi in the winter is the need to maintain some "open water" to allow for gas exchange. I have used a "donut" heater that leaves a small gap open when the pond freezes over. This has worked fine for me over the last ~10 years or so, but this winter I lost quite a...
  7. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

Thank you all for the inputs ... Looks like Uncle Ned's will be the first place to check out ... only about 35 minutes from the house. Cheers, John
  8. JBendel

Where do you buy Koi

Hello ... the pond will be warming up over the next couple of weeks, and am considering adding a few more koi. Anyone know of any places that focus on Koi? ... even a garden/nursery place? Thank you
  9. JBendel

Where to buy real quality live rock?

My two cents ... use primarily "dry rock" and then seed it with a few scoops of substrate from some one's tank and a chunk of live rock with some coralline (purchased or from a reefer). The important thing (told to me by a reefer from Marlboro whose name I have forgotten) is to first run the...
  10. JBendel

Anemone help

Add some Clowns and call it.
  11. JBendel

When was your first tank, FW or SW

~ 1969 FW Metaframe 10 gallon (blue chip stamps)
  12. JBendel

Phyto culture crash??

In my experience, if the sample isn't fed, it will die off and turn clear. I once ran 1 gallon batch for 2-3 weeks before a split (typically split once a week).
  13. JBendel

Anyone build their own acrylic sump?

I built mine years ago, and it is still running: (http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/ready-to-apply-the-weldon.46845/#post-452486) A couple of things I 'd do different: Round off the edges No longer need the through-hole, as now use a more energy efficient Eheim...
  14. JBendel

Going LED--What's your are your thoughts.

Hopefully, you can still check out a Power Meter (Kill a watt?) at the local library and just measure exactly how much power your lights are using, and then calculate the monthly savings. I switched from MH to Kessils (they lasted about 2 years) and now using reefbreeders (quite happy) from...
  15. JBendel

New koi pond

Very Nice! FWIW: Heron are an issue in my area, especially this time of year (one visited a week ago). So far, the solution I have found is to string an electric dog wire just inside the pond (1.5 ft off the surface) in a zig zag. They might pick one fish off, but they won't clean a pond...
  16. JBendel

Growing Phytoplankton

I recently went on a backpack trip and brought a Steripen along to kill giardia ... it is basically a portable UV light. I now use it on the saltwater for phytoplankton splits (vs. boiling the water). Despite the name, it does not sterilize the water, so it is not as good as boiling, but is a...
  17. JBendel

Isolating clowns due to aggression

I have a pair of tomato clowns, and before they were a "pair", I put in a small piece of plastic egg crate between the two (4" x 6") and it was just enough to slow the female's attacks down for the male to get away. The male would keep going back, but would get chased off - dodging behind the...
  18. JBendel

Gravity fed refugium...

I have run a fuge with a gravity return . They work great, but be sure to have a redundant return, so if the primary return is blocked for any reason, there is a second. Two vertical holes/PVCs, so if water begins to rise, it will flow into the second return.
  19. JBendel

Glass Edge grinding and polishing

That just plain sucks
Back