Gravity fed refugium...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
So in my ever growing quest to improve my tank I was given a suggestion from Dong to look into a gravity fed refugium and I was wondering if anyone is using one? Basically pump water from my small tank to a 2.5 or 5.5 gallon tank that would sit slightly higher and behind my tank and then drill a hole in the other corner and have it gravity feed back into the main tank.

If anyone is running one or has run one in the past please feel free to chime in or post pictures...

If you’re already pumping water into another tank, why not just have a proper sump/fuge? Tap off the drain and feed that into fuge.

I don't have a sump and I can't make one work with my current set up. I was going to do a HOB fuge or the Aquamaxx HF-M filter/fuge combo but then Dong suggested I do a gravity fed fuge and I could fit a 5.5 gallon tank behind my tank as it's in a corner with plenty of room behind it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to do it that way...

I have run a fuge with a gravity return . They work great, but be sure to have a redundant return, so if the primary return is blocked for any reason, there is a second. Two vertical holes/PVCs, so if water begins to rise, it will flow into the second return.

Back