Search results

1. serwobow

Does anyone dose Nitrate?

My tank also has tended to go to zero nitrate, so I dose plain sodium nitrate. I dose an amount that adds 5ppm nitrate per day, which seems to keep my nitrate more or less steady at roughly 20-50ppm by the salifert assay kit.
  2. serwobow

Build a Diatom filter for under $100.00

Hi Paul thanks for posting this! I am going to build one. What size silicone tubing do you use with it?
  3. serwobow

Ques. (Question of the Day) Dinoflagellates, Ever had? How did you successfully beat them?

I had them, I think it was Ostreopsis. I tried raising nitrates, lowering the time that the lights were on to about 6 hours a day and also decreased the intensity, and doing mechanical filtration, and using a UV sterilizer. They gradually went away, so I don't know which of those things, helped...
  4. serwobow

Ques. (Question of the Day) Do you dose 2 part? If so, How far apart for Ca and Alk supplements and what is the maximum you would add at one time?

I dose B-ionic parts 1 and 2 at 35ml/day in my 50g system. Dose is split, so each part gets 2 doses at 17.5ml/dose. They are dosed 1 hour apart. I find that dosing a larger amount at once leads to more accurate dosing by my dosing pump, because it minimizes the effect of backflow. In the past I...
  5. serwobow

Help With Microbubble Problem!!!

Maybe there is a tiny hole or two in your locline return tubes? This would let a tiny stream of air get sucked into the return flow, and cause mircrobubbles. You could test this by replacing those with standard tubing and see if the issue goes away.
  6. serwobow

Build a Diatom filter for under $100.00

That thing looks awesome! I want to build one so I can use it for detritus cleanup. Thanks for posting this.
  7. serwobow

How do you keep your tank cool?

I have a inkbird temperature controller hooked up to a pretty strong fan that blows across the surface of my tank. It's a cheap setup and it keeps the temperature in a safe zone. I do have central a/c though, so the temp in the house rarely gets above 80.
  8. serwobow

Got a new ringer for you guys

That is nuts! I would have never thought that was possible. Were the lights out when the chromis got eaten? Just wondering since cardinalfish can be more active at night, and it might have an advantage then. Otherwise, I would think that chromis would be a million times faster.
  9. serwobow

Organic Carbon Dosing

Yeah, I reduce dosage after the algae goes away. But after nutrients become undetectable and the algae fades away, then I have to start increasing nutrients again, so the corals can get healthy. At the level of feeding that I do, which is adequate but probably a little below average compared to...
  10. serwobow

Organic Carbon Dosing

I recently used vinegar dosing to get rid of an algae outbreak. I have used it on and off over the last 10 years to lower nutrients. Works best at 1 ml vinegar per 2 gallons tank volume. I think it is the easiest and most effective way of lowering Phosphate and nitrate . I even starved out...
  11. serwobow

Having a frustrating battle with hair algae

It took over my tank a couple months ago. After falling behind in the manual removal, and the turbo snails preferring other stuff, I used fluconazole, and followed the general advice (no skimmer or carbon). It mostly disappeared starting at about 2 weeks, and it has stayed at a very low level...
  12. serwobow

Ann. Who's your favorite (local) reef hero to follow on Social Media?

I have also really enjoyed the Reefbum interviews - have learned so much from them. And I also second the Coral Euphoria recommendation for some really creative and informative videos.
  13. serwobow

3d printer models

This was the lid/light holder I designed and printed for my 5 gallon refugium.
  14. serwobow

3d printer models

I printed a lid for my refugium which is about 10" wide (wider than my printer can print) - had to print the lid in sections that slid together. The lid fits my tank and hold my lights perfect, and is customized for the space under the main display. The cool thing is, that once you make it, you...
  15. serwobow

Rebuilding anemone garden

Hey Dong, awesome display! Since you have had so many BTAs for so long in the same tanks, can you give any opinions as to what stimulates their bubbling behavior? I know that nobody has it all figured out yet, but I am sure you must have made some observations in your tanks and have some ideas.
  16. serwobow

What is This?

I think it is a type of worm that protrudes its tentacle thingy from rocks where it hides. When food/prey sticks to the long tentacle, it reels it in. It doesn't look like a comb jelly to me. I have seen those at the Monterey aquarium, and they are generally larger (like golfball size), free...
  17. serwobow

Me vs. SPS God

Sorry to see the sps god do that to you. My tank had something similar several months back - killed every acro and montipora in my tank, including several fairly large, old colonies, over the course of months, one coral at a time. My guess is that reef gods occasionally manifest themselves as...
  18. serwobow

Help, still struggling

Calibration with rodi water is a big mistake. It is so different from salt water that it could lead to large errors in your salinity. You want to use salt water at 35ppt to calibrate, because this is what you want your tank to be at.
  19. serwobow

A good video about random coral death, dino and dosing supplements

The stop-motion effect at the end was hilarious! Very thought provoking video.
  20. serwobow

Reef 3D printing...

I use colorless "clear" PLA filament for some underwater parts. I have had no issues with it (that I am aware of).
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back