10 Charged for Illegally Trafficking Corals from the Philippines

Were these people selling coral on Facebook or some social media sites?

The shame of it is it makes the whole hobby look bad and potentially endanger’s the livelihoods of all the honest hard working people collecting and shipping these amazing creatures to us

What are the odds one of those smuggles pieces are in some local tanks

Given that the article names one of them as "Albert B. Correira, 35, of Westport, Massachusetts" I'd say the chances are sky high. Makes the whole lacey act legislation seem a little less crazy...

It puts any website that may have been used to broker the sale of said coral in a bit of an uncomfortable situation.

For those who can't be bothered to read the article, according to court documents,

Jerome Anthony Stringfield, 43 of Kissimmee, Florida;

Albert B. Correira, 35, of Westport, Massachusetts;

Allen William Ockey, 35, of Long Beach, California,

are each charged with felony violations of conspiracy, violations of the Lacey Act and smuggling of corals from the Philippines.

In separate filings, the following individuals are each charged with misdemeanor offenses related to violations of the Lacey Act:

Derek M. Kelley, 31 of Elkhart, Indiana;

Wayne R. King, 42, of Cabot Arizona;

James Knight 47, of Newaygo, Michigan;

Valeriy V. Gorbounov, 46 of Morrison, Colorado;

Nathan C. Meisner, 35, of Rapid City, South Dakota;

Ricky A. Sprires, 34, of Gilbert South Carolina;

Michael J. Lecam, 50, of Providence, Rhode Island.

Here is what I could find about the companies involved... Obviously not an complete list:

Florida’s Finest Reef, LLC.
A&W Corals of Cabot az
CJ Corals of Michigan
Reef Stars LLC of Colorado
Refined Reef of South Dakota
Carolina Corals and Aquatics of South Carolina
Savage Reef of South Carolina
Tidal Wave Aquatics of Rhode Island

@BiGGiePauls33 tidal wave (Mike lecam) sold at some of the previous club events (2018). Is there anything the BoD can do when planning future events to prevent people like this from selling at club frag swaps?

Not sure entirely, but BOD are aware of the situation. Sucks when you here about things like this.

Not sure entirely, but BOD are aware of the situation. Sucks when you here about things like this.
I hate it too. It's too bad that being a lover of reef aquariums does not equate to being an advocate for marine ecosystems and the wild reef.

It's also horrible for the legit aquaculture facilities. A bad look for everyone.

From what I've read on various threads, all rainbow chalices come from the Philippines.

Back