120W dimmable 55x3 LED light pooled order

Docstach

Non-member
I need a new light for my tank but am on a significant budget. After seeing a couple of these lights in person, I thought they might do the trick and be cheaper than most other options. I was planning on 2 lights and there is a discount given for 4 or more so I thought I would see if anyone else was interested. The discount given is as follows: 4pcs-3% off,8pcs-5% off,10pcs-7% off,20pcs-15% off. Not much, but every little bit helps. Here is the exact light I was thinking of, $165 including shipping (to one location).

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/317880/211629218-544642643/D-120w-55x3w-30-blue-and-25-white.html

The light has 30 blue LEDs on one dimmer and 25 white on another dimmer. I am not on a strict timeline so I can be flexible on when to place the order. Would have to pay up front as I can not afford to get stuck paying for an extra light. Pickup would be in Boston or someplace close-by.

446921286_991.jpg

438368575_926.jpg

anyone have any sort of specs on these? Coverage area? growth? coral colors? I'll be going all LEDs to grow the corals for my business, and hence will be looking to buy a load of em. I've contacted a couple of companies (one just starting up, and other is Pacific Sun), and based on their prices, I'll be a reseller for one or the other. Of course, none of them are as cheap as this.

I don't want to get these leds if the acans are going to lose their reds / other colors ... right now under the led's that we have on our DT, all my acans have lost their red and turned orange. I rather not have that happen to the "business corals" :)

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

It is a long thread with a fair amount of crap, but check out the RC thread... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110092

Most people seem pretty happy with them. They are suppose to easily cover a 2x2 area positioned pretty close to the water. I can not speak for acans though. There are a couple of people on here with very similar lights, hopefully they will speak up.

One other person already said they will be in for 2+ if we can get up to 20...

anyone have any sort of specs on these? Coverage area? growth? coral colors? I'll be going all LEDs to grow the corals for my business, and hence will be looking to buy a load of em. I've contacted a couple of companies (one just starting up, and other is Pacific Sun), and based on their prices, I'll be a reseller for one or the other. Of course, none of them are as cheap as this.

I don't want to get these leds if the acans are going to lose their reds / other colors ... right now under the led's that we have on our DT, all my acans have lost their red and turned orange. I rather not have that happen to the "business corals" :)

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I have the non-dimmable version of this. I think they are the same same Taotronic as they are made by the same company in China. I am using them to keep soft corals and some LPS and I need two more of these for my soft coral tank.
Here is an observation of these lights:
Pros:
1. no heat
2. Mushrooms love them
3. Zoas and paly grow very well under them
4. leather like them

Con:
1. A clam did not do well under them
2. I lost a SPS plate colony under them due to bleaching
3. Acan loose color, and elegant coral loose color under them
4. Coraline algae does not do well

Because you are starting a business, you should look at what B uses at Skipton for coral.

I have the non-dimmable version of this. I think they are the same same Taotronic as they are made by the same company in China. I am using them to keep soft corals and some LPS and I need two more of these for my soft coral tank.
Here is an observation of these lights:
Pros:
1. no heat
2. Mushrooms love them
3. Zoas and paly grow very well under them
4. leather like them

Con:
1. A clam did not do well under them
2. I lost a SPS plate colony under them due to bleaching
3. Acan loose color, and elegant coral loose color under them
4. Coraline algae does not do well

Because you are starting a business, you should look at what B uses at Skipton for coral.

gotcha, thank you for the detailed info! I guess I'll have to pass on these lights then because corals losing color is just not an option for me for my purpose .... thanks again!

Its kind of interesting. It has to be due to the spectrum of light they are putting out. With LEDs (including these units) being fully customizable you would think you could design the perfect spectrum for the corals you want. I guess the trick is to KNOW what spectrum that is... Maybe it would be worth considering throwing in a few other LEDs (violet, red, green) to try and cover the full spectrum?

Just an update, I think we are up to 8 units and a couple of other people who wanted in if we get up to 20 which I don't think we will. I think I want to order sometime toward the end of the week.

Alright, I think we have 7 confirmed and a couple of maybes. If we can get to 8 we can get 5% off and express 2-day shipping. It is not a ton off but considering the cheap price already and the cost of 2-day shipping from China it seems pretty good to me.

They are having a sale this week where diy ratios are no charge so i will be putting in an order real soon if anyone wants in.

I believe it is similar to the LED i use, made in China. I bought it through Amazon. My sps doing very well under this light in term of color and growth. The only con i have is loosing red on acan, which is turn into orange. I got two types of red planet, the red quite obvious especially the Aussie Planet pretty red. Overall, I find LED light much easy on corals, softy, sps and lps seems to like it alright. I have better luck to keep acan under LED than MH.

I believe it is similar to the LED i use, made in China. I bought it through Amazon. My sps doing very well under this light in term of color and growth. The only con i have is loosing red on acan, which is turn into orange. I got two types of red planet, the red quite obvious especially the Aussie Planet pretty red. Overall, I find LED light much easy on corals, softy, sps and lps seems to like it alright. I have better luck to keep acan under LED than MH.

Yeah, I hear ya on the colors. I'm going to place an order for 2 of them to test it out. I emailed them, and they can do the following ratio for no extra charge:

16x 6500k white
10x 10000k white
20x royal blue
4 x red
3 x UV
2 x green

From my research all over the internet, I'm hoping the above config will allow me very good growth (thanks to the 6500s) and coloration (the reds, uvs, and greens).

If not, oh well, they aren't all that expensive anyway ... compared to the other lights I'm getting for the system i.e. lol

would one of this provide enough coverage for a 29g tank or a 30g long tank?

thanks

I think one would be good for a 29g, a 30g (36" long) I think would be pushing it. I think you would have some shadows on the edges. I your interested let me know very soon.

I don't think I will participate in this pooled order, though. But I am very interested in following the experience of users. I would like my next tank to have LED lighting.

Matt:cool:

Yeah, sorry.. we already placed the order. The lights are actually here already. Going to be picking them up tonight.

Will post pics later on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back