134 build any recommendations

Gsxkid

BRS Member
Starting to set up my 134? That's what the calculators say it is in gallons. I started to build the stand frame the other day. Tanks got 3 returns and 2 overflows. The two overflow holes are 1 1/2 and 1 that's the size hole drilled. So that gives me a 1" and a 3/4" drain I believe. Do you think that's enough? It has 3 1 inch returns. I have a mag 18. Should I drill another overflow hole?

That's way more than enough. A 1" pipe can handle out something like 2000gph. You don't want too much of a turn over. 6x is plenty as you need to give enough contact time for the skimmer and other filtration.
In tank flow, on the other hand, you can go crazy like 50x.

Starting to set up my 134? That's what the calculators say it is in gallons. I started to build the stand frame the other day. Tanks got 3 returns and 2 overflows. The two overflow holes are 1 1/2 and 1 that's the size hole drilled. So that gives me a 1" and a 3/4" drain I believe. Do you think that's enough? It has 3 1 inch returns. I have a mag 18. Should I drill another overflow hole?

what size is your sump? And look at a different pump, mag18's are brutal on your electric bill. Post a picture!

Well that's cool I'm planning on building a sump out of a 55 that I just resealed. I want to pipe it to a 30 next to it with a valve in the middle that can be turned off. Basically what I'm looking to do is have the 30 be a QT but have it setup with live rock and it's own heater and power head. So when there's nothing in it it can be a part of the sump/fuge. My plan is to have a tap off the overflow drain into it with a valve on that and then one on the other side that flows into the 55 pump section. So it can be isolated and just run on it's on .

I have 2 MH fixtures I'm planning on mounting over this tank.

I am going to plumb a water valve under the tank and try and fit an RODI right under there for topping off. Then my plan is to have a pump in that 30 that when I do a water change I can pump the 30 gallons into the 55 sump fill the 30 mix it and get the temps the same then bam open the two flow through valves and it's back in business. Well that's how I have it planned out anyway.lol

Back