140 gallon 4 sided starphire rimless build thread

Cany you just patch the holes in the overflow? they looklike they would under the sand line

After dropping 2k on a tank, you shouldn't have to say 'can you just' for anything....at least. IMO

Ok so I talked to Derek today and he offered to make it right by building me another tank. Thats great news but on the other hand I needed a tank now I have lots of live stock and I will have no way of carrying this thing in my place without my family here. So Derek offered me some credit back to my account if I wanted to find someone that could fill the hole in the overflow and also for someone to fix the silicone job some how. My question is how much is enough credit for something like this because he asked me in an email what I would comfortable with. I would think it would cost a lot of money out of his pocket to have this tank picked up and another one built and shipped out to me. I need help on decided what to do because anyone thats my age wants things yesterday not 6 more weeks from now. Is asking for half of the price of the tank minus the shipping to much? because if its less than that I think I would just rather have him build me another one and ask for at least my U-haul expense paid for which was like $135

Livestock can be kept without a tank, nothing a stock tank won't handle.

I would get the new tank if you get a discount and something goes wrong you will have no recourse.
If who ever fixes it screws something up then you will be really screwed.

Sounds like he is being about as reasonable as one could expect. I wouldn't push it, you don't want him to stop being so reasonable.

For them to take the tank back and rebuild it will cost shipping, some tubes of silicone, and some man hours. I can see how they could make that work. On the other hand, to refund half the $ would probably put them at a loss just on material. If I were him, I'd stop being reasonable at that point.

It's not hard to find a bunch of helpers here to move a tank. IIRC the going rate is a 12 pack of beer per person to take home, and a few pizzas on hand. If I were you I would have them take the tank back to re-do it and eventually have the tank you want. There is no room for being impatient with something like this. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Sounds like he is being about as reasonable as one could expect. I wouldn't push it, you don't want him to stop being so reasonable.

For them to take the tank back and rebuild it will cost shipping, some tubes of silicone, and some man hours. I can see how they could make that work. On the other hand, to refund half the $ would probably put them at a loss just on material. If I were him, I'd stop being reasonable at that point.

It's not hard to find a bunch of helpers here to move a tank. IIRC the going rate is a 12 pack of beer per person to take home, and a few pizzas on hand. If I were you I would have them take the tank back to re-do it and eventually have the tank you want. There is no room for being impatient with something like this. Sorry, but it's the truth.

I'm not trying to have him be pushy at all he was actually going to just make a whole new tank and ship it out to me, then take this one back. I told him on the phone that it sounded like a lot of work for him. I didn't ask him for a figure on how much I wanted back he did ask what I would be comfortable with meaning enough $ to take the time and find someone that can fix it locally. The overflow is my main concern silicone is easy I know that. He knows I want a tank now not six weeks from now he's not going to take this one back and fix it he would just make another one from scratch. He told me when they shipped the tank out there was confusion on who was doing the cleanup/prep work on the tank before shipment and as far as the overflow the same story.

If I can find a way to make it work by plugging the hole in the overflow and Derek taking a little $ off I will be ok with that. I'm going to look at ways of getting this done and then decide what to do.....

Any suggestions on how I could plug this up ? a piece of glass with silicone on it? plexi, or just plastic?

Both Greg and John gave you great sound advice. If you have someone fix a BRAND NEW tank and something goes wrong you are screwed...period. If I just spent that kind of money on a new tank I certainly would not be looking for ways to fix it. It sounds as though the company is doing more than "enough" to help you out of this situation. Take the advice given, nothing good happens fast in this hobby, take the offer of the new tank and wait it out you'll be happier and end up with a much better product in the end than having someone clean up the silicone and patch the overflow.

FWIW, to patch a hole in glass, you would just silicone a piece of glass over the hole.

To clean up the seams, is there extra silicone hanging out of the seams, or are there gaps in the seams? If it's hanging out, it's simply a matter of trimming the excess with a razor.

I'd still wait on a new tank. You might be feeling impatient now, but how are you going to feel for the next few years looking a $1800 tank that isn't exactly what you wanted?

buy a stock tank for your livestock. Deal with it. Get the new tank. It will be worth the wait. Ask anyone who knows me here, I am **not** considered to be a patient reefer, but you will definitely regret it if you don't wait it out. Reefers are pretty OCD people; you're always going to look at that tank and know it isn't what you wanted - after you went through the painstaking design and delivery wait.

Like I said, there are reefers here with strong backs; the BRS will help you get your tank moved.

All good points here BaconReefer. All I know, is that as impatient as I am, I would take a step back and roll with this "slight" change of plans. If I were in your shoes, and I didn't take Derek up on his offer to build me a new tank to the specifications I wanted to begin with, I would ALWAYS be asking what if?, or if I only had just.., or man why didn't I just have this fixed from the start.

Take the wise advice above, get yourself a stock tank and keep your critters alive, and get the tank you wanted. Before you know it, you'll be setting up that fantastic tank, and you'll be so happy that it is PERFECT.

I would offer to send the old tank back and get the new tank sent here out of my own pocket. I know it's probably going to cost you 300, but think about it as if the tank was 2100 and not 1800. Just my 2cents

Send the tank back. I wouldn't mess with it at all. Like the rest suggested just get a stock tank for now or even a used tank here on the list to hold what you have.

My opinion is that you should have them rebuild your tank to your desired quality. Dont get ichy now because a tank is sitting in your house empty. You spent 2000 dollars on a tank (which you were acceptable with) and now youre thinking about plugging a hole and fixing the silicone yourself locally to save what? 500 dollars? I know it seems tempting, thats why hes offering...its a win/win for him. 500 to make a headache go away is well worth it. Your money is gone so dont think about what it cost just think about what it will look like and how happy you will be come the end of October. Fall is the best time to set up a tank anyways ;)

i agree, have him rebuild the tank... and use a stock tank or a temporary holding tank in the mean time... in the end it's the best solution, for that money you should have a tank that is immaculate and perfect in every way..

only thing i'm curious about is what steve brings up... are you now wanting to get some sort of refund and fix it locally because you decided that you didn't really want to pay 2k for a tank in the first place? If that's the case, there's no shame in that... it's just a little late in the game to come to that conclusion..

I was just trying to say that money is gone, no point chasing it. Move forward...thats all. Get what you paid for and enjoy a tank that will be stunning.

Ok so the update peeps, I had my uncle thats a custom cabinet builder take a look at the tank. He then went out to his truck grabbed a exacto knife...hopefully thats what its called. He trimmed the edge of the silicone and used a tube of 100% and it looks perfect, he told me that the overflow could be plugged pretty easy. He said that I shouldn't take any money back. Because other than the hole in the overflow and some silicone trimming the tank is fine. I'm not trying to get money back just for the fact that its tempting or anything like that. I guess its a matter of principal for me, you get what you pay for right? If you search any forum you will see this quote...( Man I love miracles craftsmanship but glasscages and other companies are so much cheaper so I'm gonna roll the dice and go with them instead) I didn't do anything like that, I wanted a solid tank with a 5 yr warranty. I'm extremely impatient to say the least, money is not the issue its TIME TIME TIME. Its the experience of setting up the tank with my 2 brothers from Nebraska we have always built stuff together and are into the same hobbies. I'm leaning towards just taking the tank as is and not asking for money back in return. I actually more annoyed about it taking a week longer then I was told and having to spend $900 to change 6 plane tickets.

I'm just gonna sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow if I patch the hole no one will see it because its only a little over an inch. If Derek was an a** about any of this I would demand for a new tank and some money back but he has never been that kind of person so to make him build/pay money seems kind of selfish to me. Maybe because my dad owns his own business and I've seen first hand how small companies have trouble with demanding customers.

Last edited:
its your decision but if I were you and had this headache and decided to keep the tank, I would ask Miracles for a 25% discount for my hassel. Is the warranty void if they compensate you?

Its the point that the tank is not the way you ordered it. I can see what youre saying about small businesses and demanding customers but youre not fabricating these issues...they are fact. You contracted them to provide a quality service/product and they provided it however not to the contracted quality. A discount or replacement should be supplied. Youre not demanding anything that should not have been supplied in the first place. Therefore youre not a demanding customer but an unsatisfied customer.

its your decision but if I were you and had this headache and decided to keep the tank, I would ask Miracles for a 25% discount for my hassel. Is the warranty void if they compensate you?

Its the point that the tank is not the way you ordered it. I can see what youre saying about small businesses and demanding customers but youre not fabricating these issues...they are fact. You contracted them to provide a quality service/product and they provided it however not to the contracted quality. A discount or replacement should be supplied. Youre not demanding anything that should not have been supplied in the first place. Therefore youre not a demanding customer but an unsatisfied customer.

+1 My dad own a business, I don't see anything wrong with you wanting to get what you ordered. That is our jobs, it's not like you are making things up to complain about.

But I still think I would get a new tank. I am not very patient, but I would wait for the new tank.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back