14k bulb suggestions

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
It's almost time to switch the bulb on my Solana and really want to go to a 14k to have a more blue tint in the water.I have used 14k Phoenix bulbs in the past but was wondering what some of the people out there are using in the 14k spectrum.

This will be the only source of light on my tank if your not familiar with the Solana setups that have the "disco ball" lighting option.

Thanks in advance

The Ushio is a whole different animal. IMO the best way to describe it is, it's half way between a pheonix and a nice 10k. Much whiter and brighter.

You might want some actinic with the ushio if you like blue.

Kevin

If you want to come up the road a few miles I just put in 2 brand spanking new Ushio 14ks if you want to see them in action.

The Ushio is a whole different animal. IMO the best way to describe it is, it's half way between a pheonix and a nice 10k. Much whiter and brighter.

You might want some actinic with the ushio if you like blue.

See that's what I wasn't looking for, the phoenix's just look really sweet to me.

Kevin

If you want to come up the road a few miles I just put in 2 brand spanking new Ushio 14ks if you want to see them in action.

Thanks man I just may take you up on that.

I run 2 -250 watt 14K Ushio's.
I agree with John,they have great color and I'm very happy with them.And yes, little actinic does help the colors pop.I have them running off a Bluewave HQI ballast.

i had a 14k phoenix in my disco ball but dumped it for t5s
i love the phoenix for viewing in person but pictures always come out too blue

14K Ushio all the way! I love them to death and sad that I have to use a SE bulb right now. However, I think I may give the new SE 14K by Ushio a go.:)

Kevin, I think the Hamilton 14ks are bluer...not as much par as Phoenix tho. I've used the XM 15ks...blue but not much par. Maybe you should look into XM 20ks

Back