175w MH to 250w acclimation ?

Pat H.

(Previously PHreef)
BRS Member
Hi, I just switched from 3 175 watts on mag ballasts to 3 250 watt MH on Icecap ballasts over my 25" deep tank. I have a large Sebae anemone, branching hammer, branching frogspawn, xenia, star polyps... Not really high light stuff, but the tank seemed dim to me.

The difference visually is about 50% brighter. So I've raised the lights up from 8" over the water to about 18". Also, I'm using 3 sheets of window screen under each light. I plan on removing one per week, then dropping the lights back down to 8".

Does this sound right?

I'm mostly concerned about the anemone, but I figured if it's too much light to quick it will just move lower in the tank. The rest of the corals can be moved lower if needed.

Also, how much additional heat can I expect from this setup?

I did a few searches but couldn't come up with too many answers.

Thanks, Patrick

if you use the screen you really didn't have to move those lights way up you could have done either or. i use the screen method because my hood is so dam heavy. the anemone will move if it is bothered.is the hood enclosed with glass or is it open if it is open your gonna heat the water alittle bit but not much. with the glass it probally would't heat it as much my hood is has glass protecting the bulbs with 4- 4inch fans blowing there has not been an increase at all,though i keeep my windows open cuz the room heats up pretty quick

I just switched from 175's to 250's. I cut my photo period by 1/3 and have not had any real issue's. Just gradually increase the photo period. The biggest issue I have is heat I have alway's had my tank at 78-79 now during the photo period it will get up to 83. A fan should stop that fluxuation, I just need to get off my lazy arse and install it...

I just did this as well. I raised the lights 6 inches higher than normal and then lowered them 2 inches each week. I have not had any problems but I also don't have a BTA.

Thanks guys. It seemed a little too dim with 3 layers of screen so I removed one and It looks about as bright as before the change.

I'm leaving the photoperiod the same for now. I figured I might change it if I had any problems

As far as heat, I don't have a hood or enclosure. My systems still unfinished and I haven't figured out what I want it to look like. I have 3 Spiderlight reflectors attached to a piece of angle aluminum suspended from the ceiling.The temp stayed around 80 as it is usually.

I think tomorrow I will probably drop the lights back down and see how it goes.

Thanks again, Patrick

Back