$19.99 Top Off System

The up side to the above equation is that I don't have to worry about valves malfunctioning and subsequently lowering my salinity to hypo levels while jacking my PH up to the roof in the same fell swoop.

I use the same reeffanatic controller that Dennis does, combined with an Aquamedic peristaltic pump. Very simple and works great (but it wasn't $19.99!). I think it ran around $160, but it was well worth the money. I was afraid the level controllers wouldn't be sensitive enough and the water would be dropping an inch before the top-off kicked in, but they are very sensitive and the water level never seems to visibly drop. Right now I have both floats in the tank because I don't have a sump. The aquamedic pump will pump up to .8 gallons per hour, and it is pumping up 8 ft and over 15ft through the ceiling. I have it connected to a 40g kalk reservoir in another room. The aqualifter looks like a good cheap solution if you don't have to pump too far, but I did. Here's a pic of the controllers and the next pic is of the pump connected to the reservoir.

Attachments

• DSCN0875 Medium Web view.jpg
    DSCN0875 Medium Web view.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
I prefer small pump...small pump = less chance of a flood. If a pump only pumps 10g a DAY...hard to overflow...but I will find a way!! :)

the other problem with float switches is that every time you do a water change, bag corals, or anything that requires temporarily removing water from the system, you need to turn it off, and then remember to turn it on, otherwise it will pump freshwater to the tank to top it off. kind of a PIA.

I used little shut off valves from home depot, really easy to use, just turn the lever. They were about a dollar each.

Back