2 parts switching

Ttran102

BRS Member
Hey my fellow reefers. I'm thinking about switching my 2 parts for my tank. It's a red sea 425xl mostly sps and dosing 60ml of brs brand 2 parts but technically it's 3 for magnesium I only dose mag when the 2 parts is done in my ddr. Level is stable but seems like corals grow so slow. Also dosing red sea ab+ for amino. I want to switch it over to esv bionic since heard really good reviews. Should I switch it out or anyone experience better growth and coloration with esv?
Alk 8.2-8.5 trident
Cal 420-450 trident
Mag 1350-1400 trident
Nitrate 0 nyos test
Phosphate 0.25 Hanna checker
Temp 78-79 trident

Last edited:
Is your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium staying at that constant level? How often are you testing those parameters? If so I'd say the 2 part may not be the issue as those are pretty spot on but that's just my 2 cents. Also are you dosing the 60 ml all at once or spread out evenly over the course of the day?

I've been trending towards the don't tinker as much if it ain't broken mode of reefing. I know SPS are slower growers but if those calcium, alkalinity and mag levels are constant I would think the lack of growth would be from something else.

Hey my fellow reefers. I'm thinking about switching my 2 parts for my tank. It's a red sea 425xl mostly sps and dosing 60ml of brs brand 2 parts but technically it's 3 for magnesium I only dose mag when the 2 parts is done in my ddr. Level is stable but seems like corals grow so slow. Also dosing red sea ab+ for amino. I want to switch it over to esv bionic since heard really good reviews. Should I switch it out or anyone experience better growth and coloration with esv?
Alk 8.2-8.5
Cal 420-450
Mag 1350-1400
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.25
Temp 78-79
Been using ESV for 3 months very happy with the results so far. I need to control my Alk. tho. keep Alk @ 8.6 but it drops to 7.3-7.7 over night. dosing 70ml daily but split up the alk dose twice a day. first thing in the AM and then again before the lights come on.

Time for a dosing pump for me.

I switched from bulkreef 2 part when I wanted to dose trace elements too but didn't want to play mad scientist dosing individual things that are hard to test for. Can't speak to ESV but I switched to Aquaforest component 123 and abev and my tank has taken off.

Those numbers is from trident and Ive let trident control my dos throughout the day. So the parameters is no more than 10% difference. Only reason I want to switch is because brs 2 parts doesn't have trace elements and esv bionic dose. I do water change every week 20% but still see really slow in growth. So I don't know if it's just the 2 parts I've been using or its something else.

Those numbers is from trident and Ive let trident control my dos throughout the day. So the parameters is no more than 10% difference. Only reason I want to switch is because brs 2 parts doesn't have trace elements and esv bionic dose. I do water change every week 20% but still see really slow in growth. So I don't know if it's just the 2 parts I've been using or its something else.

20% water change every week should def cover your trace elements. Your slow growth is NOT coming from your brs 2 part.

20% water change every week should def cover your trace elements. Your slow growth is coming from your brs 2 part.
I thought so too because most people said esv is better but I got a 7lb of brs 2 parts so don't want to throw it away to waste. I guess going to switch it out to see the difference.

I thought so too because most people said esv is better but I got a 7lb of brs 2 parts so don't want to throw it away to waste. I guess going to switch it out to see the difference.

see my edit above. Lol. Oops bad mistake.

The ESV bionic is definitely better than the BRS. The bionic calcium contains 9 or 10 other important trace elements. Your nitrates and phosphates are to low if you want good growth, how do the colors look? I’d imagine the colors would be fading if your nitrates are usually at 0 and .025 phosphates.

The ESV bionic is definitely better than the BRS. The bionic calcium contains 9 or 10 other important trace elements. Your nitrates and phosphates are to low if you want good growth, how do the colors look? I’d imagine the colors would be fading if your nitrates are usually at 0 and .025 phosphates.
Colors look fine no fading at all. Just the growth concern me. Maybe my frags still need more time to take off. But either way still want to switch it out because brs 2 parts have to dose magnesium once in awhile. And I see that esv have enough mag in their two parts so don't need to dose extra in mag.

Colors look fine no fading at all. Just the growth concern me. Maybe my frags still need more time to take off. But either way still want to switch it out because brs 2 parts have to dose magnesium once in awhile. And I see that esv have enough mag in their two parts so don't need to dose extra in mag.
What do you use to check your nitrates? Do you have something that does low range like 0-4ppm?
How long have the frags been in your tank? Usually when I get new acro frags they take a month or two to settle in before they start getting good growth.

Esv bionic may be a better (more loaded) 2 part, but with that said you’re not getting slow growth from using brs. Look elsewhere for answers for that.

jsak is right about the nitrates. Your nutrients are out of wack. High phosphate with no nitrate. If anything that is your culprit.

Back