20g Macroalgae/Soft Coral Tank

doobin42

BRS Member
Just stocked with macroalgae and softies. Anyone who has experience keeping a thriving macroalgae tank I would love some advice! Also, does anyone know where I can get a mangrove that is not a pod?

IMG_20220330_213852.jpg

Very cool concept. I did a lagoon style tank way back in the day...I did not have to do much but let it grow.

clown-fuge2-08-31-02.jpg

Looks like you have a nice selection in there. How long has it been up and running?

Very cool concept. I did a lagoon style tank way back in the day...I did not have to do much but let it grow.

View attachment 175226

Looks like you have a nice selection in there. How long has it been up and running?
@scavdog the tank has been up for 3 months or so but just added the macro and gorgonians today. I've been reefing for a while now but never ran a macroalgae dominant tank before. Did you dose anything for optimal algae health?

It's been a long time... From what I remember, I kept it very simple. It was part of a larger system, so nutrients were consistently available. Lighting consisted of 96 watt power compacts... No good LED's back in 2005 :)

Algae barn sells rooted and sprouted mangroves that are grown in salt. The more you buy the cheaper they get.
I bought the same ones as I sent a picture and I get a ton of roots on my saltwater tank and I really have the leaves coming out Blooming

Red mangrove . End it takes about 5 to 6 months to see any leaves And of course you add a plant grow light on them like I have and eventually you guys will see leaves and helps tremendous With nitrates and phosphates

@doobin42 this is gorgeous. I started a softie/macro tank a couple of months ago but its more of a shallow lagoon style. You can see my build thread here. Supplemental light is key for the mangroves and macro algae, I just started getting serious leaves on my mangrove pods so today I'll be adding additional grow lighting to shine during peak light hours on top of my AI lights. Any macro algae that are calciferous will suck up calcium pretty quickly so I suggest dosing, I can make out at least three species that will do this to you. If you have any more questions I'd be more than willing to help out however I can!

-Eddie

Back