40G breeder lion fish/lps tank build (pixs) all for 40.00!!!!

jtmac

Aquaholic since 1999
BRS Member
Please hold all comments till post is completed. Thanks!!

So I deceided recently that I wanted to build another set up but The challange I faced is that my wife said I could put another tank in as long as I didnt spend any money on it....Hmmmm I said no problem and she looked at me like I had 3 heads and thinking no way can he do this without spending any money on it!! Well several months later and the tank is up and awaiting water. The only money I spend was 40.00 for the breeder tank when it was on sale at Petco. But I bought that months before the deal was made with my wife.

first I needed to start with a stand for the tank. I just so happens I had a ton of lumber left over from other furniture building projects hanging out in the basement to use. I first consctructed the frame using 2x4's and then dressed it up with 1"pine boards.

back with no sump just frame.jpg
inside cabinet head room.jpg
front door open.jpg
staright shot.jpg
side shot w tank.jpg

Once the stand was built I needed to have the tank drilled hmm how do I do this without spending any money??? Well I asked my good friend Jeff (jprince) from the BRS if he would be willing to drill for frags and he agreed. So for a few frags my tank was now drilled saved 20-30? right there.

Next thing I needed to do was to paint the back and build an overflow. Plenty of black sparypaint around no problem there but I didnt have any black acrylic to build the overflow and since I was on a $0 budget what was I to do?...I then remembered I still had an old overflow box from a buddy who chucked a busted tank and let me harvest the overflow. I just needed to cut it to size. Saved over 120.00 on this part of the project.

painted black with overflow.jpg

Next feat was to build the light canopy. That was easy plenty of wood still laying around and a couple of cooling fans left over from the 100G hood build. Perfect again saved 30.00 on fans!

hood front view.jpg
hood.jpg
inside hood.jpg
hood wit fans.jpg

next thing I needed to do was to paint the stand and canopy black. No proble got all that on hand saved 30.00 of paint!

Now time to install the lights! I had my left over 2x 150w DEMH from when I upgraded last year to 250's still in the basement so I used those and 4 blue LED light strips I had hanging around .

lights.jpg

With that done I had an idea of what I needed for elecrical needs. I used a few older power strips and timers for this step. Saved about 50.00 for not haveing to buy these items.

electrical center.jpg

Now it was time to do the plumbing and equipment. I had a 20H that was in my basement from my fresh water days that would make a great sump. I also had tons of left over plumbing parts (you know what im saying) saved probably about $30.00 by saveing all these parts. Had a heater, mag7, rio2100 pump, and a Maxijet mod and a berlin skimmer saved from past up grades still sitting in the basement, so I used those to fill out my equipment needs. Since its not going to be a reef just some lps and a few lion fish equipment didnt need to be top of the line.

skimmer.jpg

Next was was to get sand. This was going to be an issue seeing I didnt have any! I went to the sale section here on the BRS to see If anyone was getting rid of sand. Well I found that a fellow reefer was offering it for free if you bought his rocks...I PMed him and made a deal for some sand for frags. as It happens I was going there anyway to have my tank drilled!! Thanks again for the sand Jeff. saved alot of $$$ there....

added sand.jpg

Next up rock...No problem got plenty of that on hand. I was looking forward to doing the aquascape and knew in my head how I wanted it to look. Since I was working with Dry this time and not cured LR like in the past I didnt have to build this under water. I got it just the way I wanted and am very very pleased with the outcome....

rockwork.jpg

rightdide rockwork.jpg

and last but not least the finished project:

fts side.jpg

came in at budget of 0 dollars! all in all the entire set up cost me 40.00 because of the tank but saves more then 800.00 by holding on to all my old equipment and left over parts. my wife is still in awe that I was able to put this up without spending a dime. Now I just have to mix up the water and add and let it cycle for a bit. Thanks for looking! If you have any questions please feel free to ask!!
You may comment now :)

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,176
Last edited:
Thanks peter thanks Jeff. Im filling it now.Ill post some pixs when it clears up. Oh and BTW Jeff I lost the "placement" arguement on where to place the tank. But It's not as bad as I thought in that corner..

Thanks peter thanks Jeff. Im filling it now.Ill post some pixs when it clears up. Oh and BTW Jeff I lost the "placement" arguement on where to place the tank. But It's not as bad as I thought in that corner..

It's all about the give and take bro.... Happy wife happy life!!

that thing is sweet lmk if you ever sell it John.......lov it

Shawn If your interested I can build another one. I would have to price out the lumber since I used Left over lumber I had on hand. LMK if your interested and we can work something out. I can turn these out in about a week or so.

Looks great.. Love the rock work!!

Thanks! It did it with Lion fish in mind. I know they like caves and place to hide so I went with that more then coral spots. I only plan on some mushrooms, gsp and stuff like that for it. The lion fihes will be the attraction.

WOW, nice work. It seems every time I touch the tank it costs me $$$. This thread shows that with a little imagination and dedication anyone can have a tank. Can't wait to see the lion fish and the LPS.

WOW, nice work. It seems every time I touch the tank it costs me $$$. This thread shows that with a little imagination and dedication anyone can have a tank. Can't wait to see the lion fish and the LPS.

Thanks Ronnie! Its not as nice as your set up but for left over parts and equipment I didnt do too bad.

Nice penny pinching skills!

Thanks! got to be aqua scrooge every once and a while :)

And Thnaks Turbo!

Last edited:
Looking good, nice job on the diy stand and canopy. Cant wait to see it filled

Back