40G Breeder stocking

joesmoe45

Non-member
Looking for some insight on stocking my 40 gallon breeder.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 25 lbs of LR and 1.5" LS. I also have a 40G Breeder Sump with a Reef Octopus 1000int skimmer. All in all I beleive I have alround 75 gallons of water. Have some Zoos, favia, BTA. Will be adding more coral as time goes by.

Currently have green chromis and yellow watchman.

My thoughts are the following over time:

Yellow watchman x1
Green Chromis x1
Six Line Wrasse x1
Swissortail Dartfish or firefish x2
Bangaii Cardinals x2
Snowflake Clowns x2
cleaner shrim x2
CUC (snails only)

Is this too much or could I also add showpiece fish such as dwarf angel? If this is okay any other recomendations instead of dwarf angel as they can nip on corals.

I do not think you have that much water. You probably have around 50g of water at best if yoi were to take out the rocks and sand

I do not think you have that much water. You probably have around 50g of water at best if yoi were to take out the rocks and sand

+1. I have a 40b (no sump) and when I do 10g wc's my tank drains almost halfway. I also don't have a lot of lr and prob same bs depth as you.

You could just keep 1 fish like me! :) jk I'd say your list looks good but personally I'd stay away from six lines. I had one for a while but eventually he got super territorial and I had to remove him. I basically had to tear the tank apart to catch him. Never again!

If you go with the firefish, stick with one - two rarely work long term.
I agree with jdeb on the sixline wrasse. Have you ever seen a possum wrasse (ie pygmy wrasse, cryptic wrasse)? They are peaceful with a cool swimming style / personality.

I imagine you are close to 65-70g of water. The 40B holds more like 45g (empty).

You're probably about at full stock with that list. Another to consider though is a neon goby. Those are fine with your watchman and tank bred, so they're bold and visible and hardy despite small size.

Last edited:
If you go with the firefish, stick with one - two rarely work long term.
I agree with jdeb on the sixline wrasse. Have you ever seen a possum wrasse (ie pygmy wrasse, cryptic wrasse)? They are peaceful with a cool swimming style / personality.

I imagine you are close to 65-70g of water. The 40B holds more like 45g (empty).

You're probably about at full stock with that list. Another to consider though is a neon goby. Those are fine with your watchman and tank bred, so they're bold and visible and hardy despite small size.

Possum wrasse! ::Thumbs Up::: Best fish ever. I love mine. Eats pods and bristleworms. Also chomps down brine and mysis. And those monocular eyes are just too darn cute.

Yes, I had one and loved him. Not sure what happened to him, but he was quickly a favorite and an attention getter despite not being "flashy".

Back