55 gl sump or no sump?

newfish

newfish
on 55gl use a sump or no sump?

I am setting up a 55 after a very long layoff and am not sure if I should set up the tank with an overflow box and sump or just go hob skimmer and canister filer? any input with the this will be helpful

Last edited:
Do you already have the tank? If so I'd probably hang the junk on the back. But I just don't trust overflow boxes

yes I got a 55gl tank non RR and 2x250w mh fixture with 4 t5 and moon lights. for free so I figured id set up a reef gain my last one was 10 years ago so I feel like newbie

That's cool. You are probably aware of all the disadvantages to a 55 reef tank. Maybe looking into a high end overflow box. I personally prefer a sump . But I still have trouble trusting an overflow box.

Sump all the time. Overflow boxs in my opinion are ok, but as we all know not 100% reliable although i have never had a failure. Drilling a tank is far far better, as long as its not tempered. If you need a tank drilled and dont mind a drive, let me know.

I had a sumpless 55 until I upgraded. It was certainly OK, but if it is possible I think I would try for a sump as well. The choices for skimmers and other equipment is just much bigger.

Pretty much all standard 55 tanks are tempered on all panels. There some special ones that aren't but they are rare.

If you could drill I'd recommend the sump. As mentioned, you usually can't on 55s.

I have heard so many horror stories about overflow boxes failing. There is more quality HOB equipment now than there was years ago.

Personally I'd sell the tank on Craigslist then buy a used 40b.

I feel the 40b is the best tank in that range. Plenty of room, you can drill any side. They are cheap.

Love my 40B cilyjr is right. Lots of room minimal footprint needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 55g also but I wish it was. 75 for the width

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back