57G Oceanic build

Holy smokes that skimmer is doing WORK. You weren't kidding John i can def see why you love it haha You gonna replace that Iwaki with the Diablo DC 10500? That's gonna be sweet. Btw i like what you did with the sand bed. Not typically seen. Do you notice any different enfauna from the left vs the right?

Haha, my MP40 is the landscaper, I can't take any credit for that idea. I haven't noticed much of a difference between the critter populations in the deeper vs shallower areas, but then again I havent' spent much time oogling worms lately so I may not have noticed any population shifts.

That's only about 4 days of skimmate. The thing that I find really unique about the skimmer is that the foam production is so very steady and consistent. Every other skimmer I have ever owned has been more or less On / off with foam production, but this one always has a nice thick head except for the 10-15 minutes after feeding. I think the controllable pump makes the difference, but I can't say for sure.

Oh how very kind of it haha. What model of gate valves are you using there? Are those plastic screws that hold the red wheel on there? Those dc pumps produce is friggen boat load of bubbles eh? Its nice when paying the extra $ really pays off :)

All spears gate valves with no metal. Pricy, but IMO/IME well worth it. Easiest adjustment of any gate valve I've used, and they can be disassembled for cleaning. Good stuff :)

any updates john? I'd love to see how this is doing so many months later. I am due to show a few updates of my 57g now that it's had some time to mature a bit. I love the skimmer you sold me to this day it produces skimmate like i never imagined. I was also wondering what ever happened with your wooden canopy lights? That looked pretty cool and seemed like it probably cut down on light overflowing into your eyes when looking at it. I say this because I'm pretty sure I have a year round tan thanks to my tank next to my seat on the couch.

Hey,

I've been really "hands off" for the past year or two (ie, I just cleaned the glass for the first time in a month). It was looking pretty good, but I got lazy about keeping my kalk reactor loaded with kalk and that led to an alk drop which I noticed because my montiporas were suddenly crashing. Needless to say I corrected that and now the montis are slowly coming back (ie regrowing over their own dead skeletons).

I have added a mystery wrasse and a couple of blue squamosa clams in the past year or so.

I'll post a quick pic, and maybe get some proper pics in the next day or two....

Oh, and I got a killer deal on a power module fixture from a forum member which led to me selling my DIY fixture to another forum member. (I still have the wrap around, open top canopy. FS cheap if you want to contain that light spill)

Pics of my neglected tank. Note the valonia clumps from when I let my vinegar run out and didn't notice for a month or two :(

Attachments

• tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 522
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 557
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 538
Thks.

To complete my update, summary of changes since I started the tank;
-Added a BRS carbon / GFO filter unit (currently off line)
-light swapped out from DIY 6x39 T5 to power module 8x39 but only running 6x39 (got a killer deall, couldn't pass it up)
-Skimmer swapped out from Avast to RLSS R6i DC adjustable pump skimmer (I got mad at avast when the swappie crapped out, peg leg skimmer worked well, RLSS works better and uses less electricity)
-Return swapped out the iwaki 55 to a Reef Octopuss DC1050 adjustable (big energy savings, adjustable flow rate)
-Tank decline due to my own laziness. Let the vinegar/organic carbon dose run out, caused an algae bloom. Also let my kalk reactor run out of kalk and caused significant montipora losses. Gradually coming back. Kicks self....

Tank looks great! Do you notice the Percula losing the black with the RBTA?

Thks

It's hard to say. Those clowns have been with the RBTAs since @ 2004. I don't remember ever seeing a change in the clown's markings, but I wasn't looking for it so I easily could have missed it.

wow if that's the result of neglect I need to leave my tank alone for months. Your rbta's are amazing and I have wanted to add a mystery wrasse as my final fish but could never get the courage drop $100 bucks on a fish. Someday maybe. Thanks for the update. Looks great.

Great build thread and a beautiful tank.

+1 on needing to neglect my tank if that's what neglect looks like.

Back