65g tank with HOT cpr refugium, do I need any other filter?

uhupong

BRS Member
The newest cpr HOT refugium have a skimmer build in. Do you think I need a mechanical filtration system such as a canister filter unit?

--------------------------

Check out this item I found on eBay:

CPR Aquafuge2 PS Large Refugium & Protein Skimmer NIB

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPR-Aquafuge2-PS-Large-Refugium-Protein-Skimmer-NIB-/390338457408

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

-------------------------------------

Thanks in advance
Pong

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

You may want something to run carbon in. There are a lot of toxins in our systems that a protein skimmer may not remove. You can run it in a bag in the sump passively, but will not be as effective. Better than nothing though. Also, GFO tends to be important in a reef to keep phosphate low. So, another reactor for that would be good. Alternatively, you can just use a canister filter. People will say that GFO is less effective in a canister and that may be true to an extent, but in my experience in a small tank it dosn't make much of a difference (assuming your talking about the 29g biocube in your signature). So, with a canister, you can run carbon and GFO in the same canister filter. May not be a bad way to go.

do not waste money on a canister filter.
if you have good amount of live rocks. A skimmer is all that you would need.

Whoops, sorry you said 65g in the title LOL. Protein skimmers aren't very effective compared to carbon at removing organics and getting phosphate levels to natural reef levels is tough without GFO. Bubbles only trap amphiphilic molecules, they do nothing for purely hydrophilic and hydrophobic molecules. I guess it all depends on the type of reef you want though. My old softcoral tank has been going for 10 years mostly with just a skimmer. Adding carbon and GFO could possibly be too much filtration for that tank. No way could I ever keep my SPS/LPS tank growing and looking like it does without GFO and carbon. Not that I haven't tried... You can always add latter though, so I agree no rush.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heart and soul of my system and its stability, is the use of a oversized skimmer, activated carbon, and live rock for bio filtration... but like Inverted said, its all in what u are trying to acheive...

From my personal experiences, Those things aren't that good at all.
That thing is expensive also, 274 dollars...
Why go through all those trouble.. Just get a tank with an overflow, put a smaller tank underneath as a sump.. Get an in-sump Skimmer and you are all set to go.. Those hang on the back stuffs have more chances to overflow.

By the way, 65 gallons is only 10 gallons short of a standard 75 gallons. If you have the space for a 4 feet tank, why not get a 75 gallons with Overflow for 250 dollars?? Brand new. This way you can add a small tang if you like and no one is going to say anything.

aquatraders makes a knock off of that fuge for much cheaper. im not saying that fuge will filter the tank good enough for ya.....but it will help. the skimmer design is pretty much a cpr bak pak skimmer, and is not very efficient.....but can be modded with an airstone.

all in all, it depends on what you want to grow. softies.....no skimmer or minimal skimming. any other typs of coral, get a GOOD skimmer and then you dont have to worry about upgrading. Heres a link for a good skimmer
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopu...back-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2347.html
$170(cheaper than the fuge), and that thing would run circles around the skimmer/fige combo

Thank you for all of great replies. I already bought a used 65G tank that I plan to set up in my new apt next month. It is time to say good bye to my bc29hqi.

The tank that I bought is a straight up 65G ,not a reef ready one. Ideally, I really want to run the refugium underneath the main tank but fear of getting an overflow flooding problem.

Is there any flood proof way to do the sump with zero percent chance in having wet floor? If so, please suggest a good complete system starting from overflow box down to the refugium and return pump.

Thanks again
Pong

But with skimmer only how am I going to clean out those particles that filter flos traps?

Thanks

Back