? about H2O turnover and ph placement

turfgrass

Non-member
I seem to have problems with my powerhead placement, because there are pockets of dead areas. Dead, because debris collects in piles from turbo snails and lawnmower blenny. Should any debri be allowed to land, or should it always be in suspension. I have three heads running in my 33 gallon, mj-900, mj-600 and mj-400. I could get bigger or more powerheads, but I don't want to blast the shrooms or other delicate corals. Could use some help. Thanks.

Ideally there aren't places where crap collects on the sand, but that's not always completely achievable. You could help distribute flow without whipping your softies by putting a spray-bar behind the rockwork on a powerhead.

Maybe softie tank keepers can give you more specific advice.

My sandbed falls into the bare bottom category. It is actually southdown that has been epoxied. So, sand never moves. I think I need a vacuum like setup for weekly maintenance. Thanks.

hey turfgrass, do you have any picts of your 33? I'm setting one up and would like and advice about this tank size/ dimensions. I knew water movement would be an issue, because it's so long for it's size.

thanks

turfgrass said:
I think I need a vacuum like setup for weekly maintenance.
IMO...Yup, you need to get the crap out. If you have detritus building up behind the rock work you need something like a ph or 2 blasting detritus to the front so you can export it...
You saw my tank I have quit a bit more flow than you in a 20l (3MJ600's+2MJ1200's) my shrooms softy's and lps are chillin in low flow, but the sps get very high flow. It take's time but as you saw with my tank you can make the water move where you want it to...

Don't worry about detritus settling as long as you are going to syphon it out but if it settle's in area's you can not reach it will lead to problem's...

I'll have to take some pix. I know the tank is 48x12x13 same as a 55 but not as high. The 48" length is similar to many of the larger tanks..55,75 and 90 gal.

Jango, I noticed how much flow you had and I was surprised, because what I have seems to really push things around. The shrooms you gave me didn't seem happy with the flow. I had to move them several times before I found a good spot. I think the crap builds also because of the size rock. I could use tips on aquascaping. The rock I have now is too big but will be fine when I upgrade to a wider tank. Is it better to have many powerheads or fewer but more stronger.

I'll have to take some pix.

Last edited:
Back