Acrlic the right choice for a reef?

steevareno

BRS Member
I have a 90gal acrylic that's setup as a FOWLR and i would like to convert it to a SPS and clam reef tank, but i'm wondering if it's ok to put halides above an acrylic tank? Will they discolor and distort the acrylic over time? The tank is an Amiricle w 2 large openings on the top w all the edges being exposed to harmful UV. It's a nice looking setup but it is it practical for reef only purposes? Any thoughts? Steve

Lots of people use acrylic for reefs. What type of lighting system you using? A DE MH will have a UV filter glass covering the lamp, so that would reduce that issue to almost nill. Just be carefull of scratches. Other thing is the openings, sometimes to small ( hard to work in tank) and in the wrong spots ( cross brace under lamp center).

i was hoping to run a geissman 250watt DE setup and i was thinking that the lens would help also but then there's the problem of cleaning the inside; a real pain in the butt!

Cleaning the inside of the light or tank? I had 3 250's over my thank, along with
some vho's resting on the top of the tank.
My 180 was acrylic, I used a credit card for a scrapper. Worked great!

Back