Adding cup of sand

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
If you add a cup of live sand to an established tank, will that create a mini cycle? Or even a rock like 3” size…. Jc

Unless you’re adding a lot of dead biomass, the existing bacteria should be able to consume ammonia and nitrite before they build up to have any ill effects

If you add a cup of live sand to an established tank, will that create a mini cycle? Or even a rock like 3” size…. Jc
How long has your tank been running? Are you having issues with something in particular or just want more sand/rock?

As stated above if your tank is established and what you are putting in the tank isn’t filled with dead or dying matter you’re good to go. If it’s live then I don’t see a problem at all as in theory your just adding more beneficial bacteria, life, and filtration to your system.

How long has your tank been running? Are you having issues with something in particular or just want more sand/rock?

As stated above if your tank is established and what you are putting in the tank isn’t filled with dead or dying matter you’re good to go. If it’s live then I don’t see a problem at all as in theory your just adding more beneficial bacteria, life, and filtration to your system.
It’s been up for a while….there’s no issues, I just wanted to put some bigger sand in areas that are getting blown around that’s all, and I did buy some frag rocks but they haven’t gone through any cycling process and a little weary of putting a non cycled rock in the tank.

It’s been up for a while….there’s no issues, I just wanted to put some bigger sand in areas that are getting blown around that’s all, and I did buy some frag rocks but they haven’t gone through any cycling process and a little weary of putting a non cycled rock in the tank.
Gotcha, well like everything in this hobby slow and steady wins the race. So for me I might be tempted to just do a little bit of sand at a time over a week or two. For the rock that can be a bit trickier pending how much you are adding as they say dry rock can leach some nasty stuff into the water. If possible you can always run it in a bucket/barrel of saltwater to help clean it so it doesn’t leach anything into the tank when added. And again if possible add a couple pieces at a time observe for a few days no ill effects add some more.

Gotcha, well like everything in this hobby slow and steady wins the race. So for me I might be tempted to just do a little bit of sand at a time over a week or two. For the rock that can be a bit trickier pending how much you are adding as they say dry rock can leach some nasty stuff into the water. If possible you can always run it in a bucket/barrel of saltwater to help clean it so it doesn’t leach anything into the tank when added. And again if possible add a couple pieces at a time observe for a few days no ill effects add some more.
Yeah, that sounds good….slow and steady…

Back