Adding sand

MiamiPete

Non-member
Hey All...hope you are all safe and fat and happy from the FFM this weekend. I've got a question...I recently started back up, but have a sand bed of like half an inch. I want to add more. Much more. It's a 60-gallon tank. What's the best way to do this without shocking the system? Bag of sand and a water change once a week till I get it where I want it? Added slowly and meticulously? I feel like that's the right answer, just want to make sure...
The second question is where do I get some good sand? lol

I just switched a whole sandbed out of a 180. Removed 120 lbs of old aragonite/black lava mix with a diesel sized siphon I made 1 1/4” diameter hard plastic clear tubing attached to flexible clear vinyl hose. I added 120 lbs of new Caribsea Fiji Pink. I rinsed the new sand very very well, then on final rinse in tank water, sieved it dry and into a 2.5 gallon bucket and added it to the tank, carefully dumping each load at the bottom, so not to make a dust storm. I did half of the tank at a time. Scale down the bucket for a small tank and I think it would be fine. I had enough rock in the system that was established to make this work, no cycle, corals back in same day, no losses.

Back