Advice on Coralline Algae Please

prostock442

Non-member
I've had nice Coralline algae in my tank since day one when I set my tank up in 2012. I purchased 90 pounds of live rock which was covered with the stuff, (Real, not the fake stuff). Since then, it has covered everything but my fish & if it could attach itself to them, I'd have purple & pink fish. It covers the back glass & both sides completely, all live rock & now it's starting to cover my substrate. Some have said it's a good thing, I must be doing something right when actually, I'm not doing a thing. What do you think? Good? Bad? Scrape it off? Leave it alone? Is there any way to control it & should I? Thanks for any advice.

Also, what causes it to spread & be so overwhelming in my tank?

I can imagine your pain, ....
No clue what you're doing right or wrong but if you post the list of your equipment and your maintenance / feeding schedule I bet you might get a cult going, ....
BEATS DEALING WITH ANY OTHER TYPE OF ALGAE.

Coraline algae is a good thing. If you find out unsightly then scrape it off. Otherwise it's beneficial and a sign of a good tank

I know there's a list of urchins that will eat it, I had a long spine for awhile and my rocks were white within a few months

usually a high calcium # will promote coralline. I also get it at the base of my substrate I scrape it with razor.but I do leave it on the back as well as the rock work. good stuff

Yup, like said above, its a good thing, a sign of health. I would scrape where you dont want it and get yourself a tuxedo urchin, they eat it. Theres a few other kinds that do too.

I had the same issue in my 120.
2 Tuxedo Urchins later and it's being managed. I actually gave one away to another reefer and it's keeping his coraline in check in his 120 as well.

First off, Thanks for the reply's, interesting stuff. As for my equipment, It's listed in my Signature.

Maintenance & parameters are as follows -

TOP OFF WATER once a week about 5 gallons give or tak of RO Water.

WATER CHANGES are few, 5 gallons a month or when I think about it.

FEEDING - Once a day in the A.M. 3 frozen cubes of Brine/Mysis Shrimp & a pinch of flakes with little round pellets.
I turn OFF my filter & my skimmer when I feed, turn back on about 1/2 when water is clear of food.

LIGHTS: I have a coralife 48" 4 bulb fixture with 2 420 Actinics & 2 UV Actinic White 12K bulbs.
I run the lights NON STOP from 8 a.m to 9:30 p.m every day.

PARAMETERS:

CA = 400 (recommended 380-400)

ALKALINITY = 9 (recommended 8-9dkh)

MAGNESIUM = 1400 (recommended 1300)

SALINITY = 1.024 (recommended 1.023 - 1.025)

So there you have it. Been doing this same routine since 2012 & only lost one fish (Liar Tail Anthias female) & that was due to bullying by a male & female of same species. Thanks again for your opinions & help.

MY TANK COMMUNITY:

CORAL BEAUTY - 1
LEOPARD GOBY - 1
SAIL FIN TANG - 1
SCOOTER BLENNY - 2
BLUE REEF CHROMIS - 2
BLACK CAP BASSLETT - 1
CHALK BASS - 1
MAGENTA DOTTIE BACK - 1
HENIOCHUS - 2
BANGGAI CARDINAL FISH - 2
BLACK & WHITE OCELLARIS CLOWNS - 2
LIAR TAIL ANTHIAS - 2
CLEANER SHRIMP - 2
TURBO SNAILS - 5
CLEANUP CREW - SNAILS, CRABS

Last edited:
Is the tank fish only, softie or LPS? It sounds like you hit the mark on water chemistry and Coraline has nothing to compete with

I have 6 Kenya Tree's & 4 3" clumps of Green Star Polyps. Forgot to put that in my last post of "my tank community".

Yeah you don't have much to use up the calcium so the coraline is loving it

+1 to an urchin, like a Tuxedo Urchin.

They will eat any kind of algae and they love coraline. We added one to our tank a month ago and it's been doing a great job cleaning up surfaces.

Back