Skimmer advice please...

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I don't understand the pricing on these items. Can someone explain why a skimmer rated for a 225gal system can vary from $400-$2000?????? Is there something special that the diffuser plate does?? I dont understand how a variable speed pump is better the a fixed speed pump. The skimmer I'm using now is a fixed speed and has always done a good job.

Don't want to waste money that can be better spend else where....

Thanks for your response

My understanding is that a dc pump on a skimmer will vary the amount of air that is sucked into the venturi (?) mix. Some are cast acrylic some are extruded. One's a cheaper material, can't tell you off the top of my head atm.

I’m with you and that’s why I run a lifereef skimmer. I only need to swap out to a larger pump when I upgrade tanks. Could also buy the larger Venturi for it.

If your skimmer works and you’re happy with it, then there’s no reason to buy another one.

Currently running an AC skimmer in one tank and a DC in another. DC is great for dialing in the skimmer. Both are fancy fish toilets.

If you want to spend $400, look into AWC or CWC. No more buckets.

Some skimmers are vastly over rated. Some are vastly over priced.

Beyond that; Design, materials, workmanship, and "bling" factor.

To a point you do get what you pay for. Beyond that you can spend a lot more to get top shelf that will gain a little more performance and a LOT more bling factor.

DC pumps vastly expand on the adjustability of a given skimmer.

Agree with others on adjustability with a DC pump, will never go back to abskimmer without one

Back