Advice to rid a rock of xenia

Scarfish

We want the wolf
I cut all the xenia off one piece of rock I have and want to put it in my 10g tank, but I don't want the xenia to grow back - it's in my sump now and still has a thin layer of tissue covering the rock.

what's the best way to kill off the remaining tissue? should I just soak it in RODI water for a day?

The best way is to give the rock to me. :) Just kidding. I would think soaking it should work, but won't you kill all the good stuff as well?

What about rubbing kalk paste on that area?

Or pour boiling water just over that part of the rock.

I think a long RODI soak would basically make it dead rock.

microwave it, nuke it, bleach it, let a rabid animal gnaw on it, poor molten rock over it, bury it for a year......

My kids cooked mine, but in my 72g tank. A few hours at 98 degrees did it (cooked some very nice corals too)

I boil rock that has anything growing on it, and/or bleach it. You must then make sure you soak it & leave it to dry to get rid of bleach

thanks all.

I like the idea of either boiling water on just that spot or just soaking it in RODI and killing off whatever life is on there. the life (coraline etc) will just come back in time anyways...not worried about that.

RobboT - I've got a butterfly and I doubt that they eat Xenia. mine doesn't for sure. loves aiptasia though.

Back