ahhh...is this what I think it is?!?!?

MAReefer1

lol, I have a tank, sorta
Is this a flatworm, I left a toothbrush that I used to clean the LR in the fuge and when I picked it up, I saw lots of this thing crawling all over it.

Heres a picture, I got as close as I could.

flatworms002lw3.jpg

Almost like it has a split on the rear end that looks like a tail. Could be some kind of snail also. I need a better pic to see.

yep, thats exactly how its shaped, oval with a split part on one end. So how do I get rid of these flatworms, will they eat any of my coral?

They look like the non problematic ones, but I can't be 100% sure. Definately not acro eating fw if they have a spilt on one end. FW exit works with these from what I understand. I don't have any experience with these particular fw. Hopefully someone that has dealt with them will chime in for you.

The way to id the plague ones seems to just eb if they overpopulate, they are probably bad. It seems simplistic, but you are worried about the ones with the toxin and if they don't have the toxin, they seem to be pretty well taken care of by fish and whatnot.

FWIW, IME FW exit (enough acrynoms?) isn't all that risky to use unless you have a lot of the FW's.

IME, the one thing that the FW exit does/may harm is starfish. When I used it, my serpant stars seemed to go into convulsions or something like it. They were very stressed for about a day, but then fully recovered. My tiny brittle stars were another story. I hadn't even seen any tiny stars for a long time, but when I dosed FW exit I saw their arms and body parts falling apart and coming out of everywhere. It took months for the population to recover. Nothing else showed any signs of stress whatsoever. I did dose at about 1.5 times the reccomended dose.

If you dose, I would suggest temporarily removing any stars. otherwise no worries.

I agree with what cindy said about the ID test being weather or not the FW's start multiplying like crazy. The problem is that once they become a plauge, it's a major risk to use the FW exit becuase of the toxins the FW's will release.

IMO (and this is debatable) I would dose with the FW exit now as a preventitive. If they are the non-photosynthetic ones, you won't have any problems without them. If they are acro eaters (it doesn't sound like it at all) the FW exit won't do anything. If they are the nusiance FW's (which it sounds like, and the pic looks like to me) you'll get the upper hand before they become a plauge and a risk to try to kill.

Just my $.02

its definatly not clear like that, so does that mean that i have the bad kind? or not necessarily ?

If it looks like that but is redish brown, then they can be a nuisence if the overpopulate and reach plague proportions.

i beleive they feed mostly on light, those are not the bad ones.... but they will overpopulate if given the chance. six line will take care of them....and be a cool addition to the tank, and give you an excuse to spend money on the tank.....

"cause honey if i dont get it everything in the tank will die!" lol

>its definatly not clear like that, so does that mean that i have the bad kind? or not necessarily ?<

No not necessarily. I you can get a much better photo of it we may be able to tell you. DON'T jump to conclusions though. There are PLENTY of brown flatworms that are not a big deal, and don't become a problem.

k, I will try to get a better pciture in the morn. I dont see them anywhere else in my tank. I only see them in my fuge. They were hanging out in the bristles of the toothbrush, and when I picked up the toothbrush later, they were gone. So ill put the brush back in the fuge, and chek in the morning.

thanks for the help.

btw, if they are problematic FW, where do I get FW exit.

Back