Air intake for skimmer clogging from salt creep - long term solutions?

IPWitan

Non-member
I have a AquaMaxx Cone S-1, pictured here http://aquamaxxaquariums.com/protein-skimmer/cones-co-series/ . I am finding that where the tube and venturi section of pump meet, salt collects in the tube opening. Eventually, it creeps to the point of closure. It is fairly easy to unclog by allowing the skimmer air intake to suck hot water. Notwithstanding, it creates inconsistency as the air flow changes by the slow closing of the intake and then is unclogged by me. Prior to this skimmer, I had a Euroreef and an hob remora. I never had to clean this opening on either skimmer. The skimmer is about 2 years old.

My research didn't reveal a reason or permanent solution to this issue. The advice was to simply add hot water, which does work. I don't know whether it is caused by salty humid air being sucked in the skimmer, or whether the creep part is starting on the water-injection side and traveling up the tube (this seems most likely to me).

I am curious if anyone has a solution to stop this from happening on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.

Idea 1 - move the air intake outside the tank so the air it takes up will be substantially less humid.
Idea 2 - put some kind of substance on the inside of the venturi section nipple that connects with the air tube that discourages buildup, e.g. a non-stick or water repelant substance. Looking for ideas on what that would be, however.
- vasoline (bad adding oil to a skimmer)
- something like spray silicon lubricant?
- wax from a candle. A birthday candle is probably small enough.
- car wax, which is probably silicon anyway.

I obviously don't want to pollute my tank or destroy the skimmer, but a small amount of vasoline on the air side shouldn't be a problem long term. Wax sounds promising too.

Ideas?

DAG

Attachments

• cone-s-in-sump.jpg
    cone-s-in-sump.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 313
I have the same skimmer ... I have yet to have an issue.. but where the intake is so low to the water may a section of tubing on the intake to the height of the cup might help..

I have an asm g3 skimmer that used to have the same trouble. I drilled out the hole to a larger diameter. That stopped from clogging. I still clean it out monthly though

I sometimes put a pump on a timer to shoot a tiny bit of fresh water into the air input side about 1X/day. This works well until the timer stops working!

the Aquamax skimmers ( and I now run 3 of them ) use a lot more air than a lot of other brands.. my Reef octopus Classic 110 never clogged either.. but it never worked as hard or did the job the aquamax does... if nothing else the Aqua max is very easy to service..you couldn't ask for an easier unit to clean... I added a piece of tubing to the intake of mine the day I installed it in the sump, because I did not like the placement of the silencer so close to the water...maybe that is the reason I have no issues... the only time it gets cleaned is when I tear it down completely every 3 months

My water level is about at the base on the silencer cap. It is possible that when i refill top off, it may get above the line for the silencer, but below the in take stem. As a result it may permit more humidity in the cap area, though.

I also had another thought. When I manually dose 2 part. I usually dump the calcium in the display and pour the alk in the chamber with the skimmer in the sump. My thinking was that the skimmer pump will mix things up nicely prior to entering the display. I am not away of alk and salt creep somehow being related, but it is possible. All the same, I will dump the 2 part in the chamber after the skimmer to see if that has an effect.

I was thinking of somehow elevating the silencer cup. I will try that first.

My water level and 2 part issues should also change shortly. I have an ATO to set up and plan to use kalk for most of my CA/alk needs.

In sum, it seems like I am not alone. I'll update after I try some of these options. Thanks for the input everyone.

DAG

I'll echo other folks who haven't ever had this happen with a Reef Octopus unit.

The advice to run a small pump through periodically seems solid.

For a weirder/DIY suggestion, you also might be able to run your ATO fresh water line through the air intake.

I have similar issue with Reef Octopus XS 160. If I don't remember to check periodically it will completely block up in that same spot and cause water level in skimmer to overflow into collection cup hence dumping skimmate back into sump/tank. Tagging along to see if anyone has had a successful permanent solution to IPWitan's issue

I keep an old (clean!) sriracha bottle full of rodi in my sump. Every time I dump the skimmer cup I squirt some water down the air intake. It has a good nozzle for aiming. My tank is next to the couch so I dump the cup every other day or so to keep the smell unnoticeable.

More of a precaution in my case, as I have a reef octo, but my drains pretty close to the intake and kinda splashy, so I just made a habit of it. It's not fancy but it works :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run an sca301. Very similar. I pulled the air hose away from the skimmer, extended the hose slightly so it reaches outside the tank and put a turn valve on the end to control air flow and noise. Works well for me.

Back