Algae, algae, and more algae

Dp11

Non-member
help! I had been away for a little while and now my 55 gal is loaded with long green algae and red/purple cyano? It's all over the rock and the back of the tank as well as some on the sand. I did a water change, tried to syphoned up some of the cyano from the sand, and tried scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush but it still coming back. Does anyone have suggestions to get rid of it?
Thanks

I had a bit of an algae problem for a while.. I scrubbed the long stuff off the rock with a toothbrush and got a tuxedo urchin.. That coupled with regular water changes and I'm pretty close to algae free!

Cyano usually grows in low flow areas. You may need to increase flow in the tank. Otherwise, just watch your nutrients, keep manually cleaning what you can, and try and grow both in a refugium if you can.

Are you running a skimmer?
First thing to focus on is reducing nutrients in the tank that feeds algae and cyanobacteria.
Then you could try a reboot of the system by using some Chemiclean to knock out the cyano.
And lots of water changes with ro/di mixed water.

I would add chemiclean immediately. If you have a skimmer shut it off before. add an airstone to your display because your oxogen levels are going to drop. Wait 2-3 days should clear up all/most of the algae. Do one Large water change. Turn skimmer back on see if it bubbles over.( mine almost always does and I have to do another water change) Monitor nutrients from here on out.

Cyano usually grows in low flow areas. You may need to increase flow in the tank. Otherwise, just watch your nutrients, keep manually cleaning what you can, and try and grow both in a refugium if you can.

I didn't know that, for the past few months I had only 1 Koralia 1150 the other one died on me but I just got a second one this week, does anyone know if 2 1150s are enough for a 55 gal? I don't have a refuglum the cabinet is too small underneath is it advisable to do a HOB one?

Are you running a skimmer?
First thing to focus on is reducing nutrients in the tank that feeds algae and cyanobacteria.
Then you could try a reboot of the system by using some Chemiclean to knock out the cyano.
And lots of water changes with ro/di mixed water.
I am running a HOB skimmer, when you say nutrients do you mean cut back on the fish food? And I always use ro/di water that I get from Unique Aquaria

I am running a HOB skimmer, when you say nutrients do you mean cut back on the fish food? And I always use ro/di water that I get from Unique Aquaria

It depends on how much you feed and what the bioload is.
You may be overfeeding or your skimmer might not be enough to remove waste before it fuels the cyano.
Best thing to do is check PO4 and NO3 and see where the levels are at.
Chemiclean will help reboot the system and get rid of cyano. If you don't find the reason why it occurred in the first place.It will reappear in a few weeks or month.

you need to know your levels to know if there is an issue.

carbon dosing is an extreme measure to take especially if you have not tested the water yet.

if you don't have test kits then keep doing water changes and feed less until it is under control.

chemiclean will not fix the problem only stop the cyano for a week or two. this is not a good choice to control the issue.

yes two of the koralias would be good one just doesn't seem enough.

be careful with the advice you take if it strays far from your normal maintenance routine. Vodka does not fix a phosphate problem at all.

I didn't know that, for the past few months I had only 1 Koralia 1150 the other one died on me but I just got a second one this week, does anyone know if 2 1150s are enough for a 55 gal? I don't have a refuglum the cabinet is too small underneath is it advisable to do a HOB one?

Refugiums are not necessary, an oversized skimmer will do 10 times more.
I have a skimmer rated for over 200 gallons in a 40 breeder. I threw all the macro algae away except for a ball of chaeto. The chaeto barely got bigger in the past 3-4 months, the ball didn't even get denser. It will end up in the trash this weekend.

I also don't feed too much, although I did for a while and never had an issue.
I don't use RO/DI water for top off either (5gal/week during winter, 12gal/week during summer).
I only change 5gal/week.
My tank is so stocked, I only have space for one more 3" frag.

So...in my opinion, a refugium is a waste of space. I keep a sump with rocks, heaters and the skimmer and that one ball of chaeto that will get thrown away.

Spend your money on a big skimmer, feed less, and get that water moving. - that is my advice.

Last edited:
Refugiums work best on either well stocked or well fed (nutrient rich) tanks. This sounds like the case for the OP which is why I suggested it. If there are no nutrients for the macro to use up, then you are correct in that one is likely not needed. I do disagree that they are a waste of space. At the very least it is a low flow area for nuisance algae to grow and for pods to multiply. Not saying everyone needs one, but I don't think there is one negative to having one.

And as far as flow, in my 55 I had ~500 GPH flow from my return pumps, (2) Koralia 1050s and (2) Koralia 750s. They were on a random wavemaker so at any time 0, 2 or all 4 could be on. So flow ranged from 500-4100 GPH. If you have corals, then there is no question that you need more flow.

Chemi clean will make it go away fast and by the time you do 2 water changes I don't think you will have a problem. Make sure you have a good skimmer that is working properly and Don't over feed your system. Do you run carbon? It also helps poilish your water.

Chemi clean will make it go away fast and by the time you do 2 water changes I don't think you will have a problem. Make sure you have a good skimmer that is working properly and Don't over feed your system. Do you run carbon? It also helps poilish your water.

It will but if he doesn't find the issue it will just come back

But I have yet to see a detail of his tank parameters and maintenance schedule. So everything is just a guess work at this point

Vodka if done properly will lower phosphates. I have done it with great success. I'm not saying dump a bottle of grey goose in the tank, I'm saying with extensive research and doing it the right way it will work great. Obviously this measure is only if phosphates are high.

But if this option is not a comfortable one I agree on limiting the feeding. Maybe a lesser light schedule as well.

It will but if he doesn't find the issue it will just come back

But I have yet to see a detail of his tank parameters and maintenance schedule. So everything is just a guess work at this point
I just recently had water tested and alk 6.5 cal 350 mag 700 nitrate 0-5 nitrite 0-5 ammonia 0 I'll try to get the rest later. My skimmer is the larger HOB octerpus BH 2000 so I think it's bigger than I need it seams to pull alot. I try to do 15 gal water change every month (I have 4 fish in the tank 55 gal) the problem was I was a way for a few months and wasn't able to do water change during that time that's when all the algae started to grow alot.

No I haven't run carbon should I?

Yes. that's why I told him to do water changes as well and watch feeding. Ime, chemi clean is harmless and will make your tank look good quick. Who wants to stare at an ugly tank while your trying to battle your phosphate issue? Not me :)

Back