Algae help...

JasonandSarah

Non-member
I'm kinda baffled about getting algae all of a sudden. I noticed it a few weeks ago and immediately started cutting off pieces of rock it was growing on. It's mostly on my sand bed now and on some Zoa frags. Looks to me to be Bryopsis and I'm not liking that at all.
I try very hard to keep a low nutrient system and for the most part I believe I do. Everything I list has been at these numbers for along time and tanks been running for almost 2 years.
P04-0.02/Hanna Ulr
N03-0-5/Salifert
Cal-440/Hanna checker
Dkh-9.5/Hanna checker
Mag-1350/Redsea
Potassium-350/Redsea
Salinity 35/1.026
So is there something I'm missing? Whys this stuff even growing?

Well first off get your Mag checked . the Red sea kits tend to read high . when in fact its low . secondly since you will probably be dosing Mag use Tech M from kents . there is something in that stuff that keeps from and kills Bryopsis get your mag up to about 1600-1800 for a period of about 2-3 months

U sure it's briopsis? Have a pic?
I haven't taken a pic yet but I'm petty sure. It has multiple tips like a peacock feather. They're not very long but I've also been going to the tank everyday and cutting out the pieces of rock it's on and doing peroxide dips on the zoa frags.
I've been thinking about adding either a turf scrubber or Ozone to the tank?

Well first off get your Mag checked . the Red sea kits tend to read high . when in fact its low . secondly since you will probably be dosing Mag use Tech M from kents . there is something in that stuff that keeps from and kills Bryopsis get your mag up to about 1600-1800 for a period of about 2-3 months
Yeah ty but I know that trick and unfortunately don't feel safe doing it on my tank. Way to many large sps colonies to risk losing. To me that'll be a very last resort.
I will buy another Mag test as a back up or reference. I have always had great results with the Redsea kit, wasn't until recently I starting hearing people complain about them.
Maybe a Triton test is in order? I've been thinking about doing it for months.

Bryopsis is very tuff to beat.

Nutrient control alone will not stop this stuff.

I know you are apprehensive about using Kent Tech M, but if this stuff gets a hold it will take over your tank. I have a SPS dominated tank and used tech M with no adverse effects on my corals. My snails seemed to get stress and I lost 2 margarita snails, but most of my CUC survived the treatment without the need to remove them.

P.S. It sounds like you are sure what type of algae it is, but if you posted a picture, people could help you confirm it.

Bryopsis is very tuff to beat.

Nutrient control alone will not stop this stuff.

I know you are apprehensive about using Kent Tech M, but if this stuff gets a hold it will take over your tank. I have a SPS dominated tank and used tech M with no adverse effects on my corals. My snails seemed to get stress and I lost 2 margarita snails, but most of my CUC survived the treatment without the need to remove them.

P.S. It sounds like you are sure what type of algae it is, but if you posted a picture, people could help you confirm it.
I can't get a pic right now because I spent a good chunk of time yesterday trying to cut out pieces of rock with it on it. I'm sure I'll get another patch soon.

Kent Tech M does work for bryopsis without harming SPS, as long as you raise it gradually and keep it high long enough.

If you don't have a UV, I would recommend getting one and running it at a low enough flow to cook algae in the water which will dramatically decrease it's ability to spread and colonize.

Kent Tech M does work for bryopsis without harming SPS, as long as you raise it gradually and keep it high long enough.

If you don't have a UV, I would recommend getting one and running it at a low enough flow to cook algae in the water which will dramatically decrease it's ability to spread and colonize.
I was thinking about running ozone, doesn't ozone do the same thing?

Ozone will not work. It does have a sterilizing capability but you can't run it continuously or at a high enough dosage to effect the bryopsis. Plus it would only kill what's in the water and not what's on your rocks. Same with UV. Tech M will work but it will lose some of it's effectiveness with each episode or outbreak. The little bit of bryopsis that survives a treatment leads to resistant bryopsis. Just like antibiotics. The algae turf scrubber will also work, but you will need more time and patience for it to do it's job. I would suggest the Tech M and then the turf scrubber. I loved my scrubber and miss it. I took it down with the new setup and haven't replaced it because of the electricity it uses.

Ozone will not work. It does have a sterilizing capability but you can't run it continuously or at a high enough dosage to effect the bryopsis. Plus it would only kill what's in the water and not what's on your rocks. Same with UV. Tech M will work but it will lose some of it's effectiveness with each episode or outbreak. The little bit of bryopsis that survives a treatment leads to resistant bryopsis. Just like antibiotics. The algae turf scrubber will also work, but you will need more time and patience for it to do it's job. I would suggest the Tech M and then the turf scrubber. I loved my scrubber and miss it. I took it down with the new setup and haven't replaced it because of the electricity it uses.
I bought my scrubber last night, along with a 24 watt led grow bulb. I'm going to try and run it off part of my return so the 24 watt led will be the only power being used. I may add another bulb but even then I don't consider 48 watts that much.

No that sounds very reasonable. My tank is very large, so it needs a scrubber about 2 feet square lit from both sides. Sizing the scrubber and calculating the flow through it is important. I used the the info I found on RC in the "algae scrubber basics" thread. It will take about a month or two for your scrubber to start growing a good amount of algae. I kept mine lit overnight to help with the tank pH and gave it 4 hours of required darkness during the day.
I would also give the Tech M a try as it will take the scrubber many months to make a difference in your display. Once established, you will see the bryopsis prefers to grow on the scrubber. Good luck.

Back