Algea issues

JasonandRay

Non-member
Bare bottom 12 Gallon 18x18x16" Tank Lit by a 150watt 20k MH bulb with a Jebao wp25 providing the water movement. 20 gallon Sump with fuge lit by a 24watt par38 bulb , Sca301 skimmer, Gfo and carbon in a filter bag and 700gph Return. RKL controlling it all

Brand new filters in the BRS Ro/di Unit, Brand new bulbs, Gfo/Carbon runs passively and is change weekly, Skimmer pulls about 1 tablespoon of yellow skimmate a day. Lights run for about 5 hours a day. Tank gets a weekly 5gallon waterchange that involves siphoning sump and display. I feed very very little as I only have one Black Barred Convict Goby that mainly feasts on pods. Corals all look great with Bright low nutrient type colors and great polyp extension. Hanna checker reads 0.00.

I cant even grow Cheato in my fuge just turns white and dies off but Still getting green hair starting to cover all my rocks and want to be proactive and hit it early. :mad:
Im afraid to add any more Gfo to the system and bleach the corals but have a reactor ready to go. The only thing I can think of is the rock leaching phosphates I have restarted this system multiple times because of algae issues and the rock seems to be the only thing I haven't looked into. I know you cant just diagnose issues like this over the computer but just seems like I do everything right and still get algae.

I think ill up my water changes and load up the reactor with some gfo and get ready to put it online.

Remove the gfo may help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dong you say that because nitrates and Phosphates are removed in Ratios and by removing just phosphates I most likely am stuck with high nitrates?

What is your nitrate level? What brand of GFO are you using?

Also how long has the tank been running? All tanks will get algae at some point . It's a part of the life cycle . And in my opinion necessary in order for the tank to find it's balance. And I agree with Dong . GFO is essentially just rust ferric oxide

We used Phosguard in our system as our live rock leaked a lot of phosphate and nitrate. Make sure to thoroughly rinse as the dust can apparently really bother some corals. Dropped our phosphate levels to near zero and Nitrate dropped to zero soon after (with frequent water changes)

tanks been up for 6 years now. Just started to restock it with corals and keep the bright lights on for 5 hours a day. BRS Gfo. You guys seem to belive the opposite of everything I have read. never heard of GFO being the cause of algea issues.

Never found a nitrate test kit worth using, I still have some but theyre expired. Always would get different results with the same water just different test kits.

Just made up a fresh batch of RSCP looks like it might be the source of my phosphate-0.06ppm

Think im going to fire up the Gfo Reactor with a tablespoon or two of gfo and keep an eye on the corals.

Last edited:
Back