Amphipods in tank, woo a ton of them

Bobbofin

Non-member
Not only do I have copepods but I also have amphipods. Small 2-3mm shrimp like things buzzing over the rocks. Could them running between and over my gsp make it be closed? Guess I am going to get a Mandrin soon. I only have a 30g tank but I have hundreds of these amphipods and the glass is covered with copepods daily before cleaning. Without a refugium could one Mandrin wipe them out? A fuge is in the future.

could one Mandrin wipe them out? A fuge is in the future.

I think a 125 gallon tank is the minimum recommended. Other wise you will not be able to maintain the pod population the mandarin needs. Not sure if you count the volume of water in the fuge.

I've been away for a few days for a wedding and got back last night and inspected the tank. Apparently the red fan worms decided to breed a bit and the sides of my 100g sump are peppered in thousands of young red fan worms (great, there goes all my calcium ;).) Not just that, but see little pods everywhere in the sump and fuge when I move the flashlight around. Never seeded the tank with anything; they are all hitchikers in this tank from the liverock. Amazing how fast they can grow.

-Mike

What other creatures are in your tank? I think most carniverous fish will eat pods. Do you have a lack of predation?

Not only do I have copepods but I also have amphipods. Small 2-3mm shrimp like things buzzing over the rocks. Could them running between and over my gsp make it be closed? Guess I am going to get a Mandrin soon. I only have a 30g tank but I have hundreds of these amphipods and the glass is covered with copepods daily before cleaning. Without a refugium could one Mandrin wipe them out? A fuge is in the future.

Without a fuge one Mandarim will make very quick work of your pod population and then die off from starvation (unless of course you can find one that is verifiably eating frozen prepared foods). I would not recommend a Mandarin until you have an established fuge in place repopulating your tank with pods. JMHO

How do the pods make the return trip, unless the fuge is above the tank and they're gravity fed? I have a ton of both kinds of pods living in my sumps...my chaeto is actually overrun with them, but I don't ever see them in the displays. Does my mag shred them before their return to the tank, or are they getting eaten as soon as they arrive?

How do the pods make the return trip, unless the fuge is above the tank and they're gravity fed? I have a ton of both kinds of pods living in my sumps...my chaeto is actually overrun with them, but I don't ever see them in the displays. Does my mag shred them before their return to the tank, or are they getting eaten as soon as they arrive?

I would think that some would survive the trip through the Mag.

check your overflow with a flash light if there in there and in your sump there in your tank do you check your tank at night with a flash light?

There are moonlights in my lighting....can see them in the sump, but not in the display.

When I had my 75 running I placed a filter sock over my return just to see what was comming through the mag 24. I had a lot of pods and shrimp alive in the sock.

The pods will make the trip through the pump with ease. They are so small they won't be killed in the volute.

Back