Another lighting upgrade post

100 leds? Holy crap. I just priced out 40 and think I'll start with that. Can always add if I have to. Not sure how I'll arrange them or how many to a plug, but I'll figure that out.

I was thinking 40 4x1watt. 20 white 14 blue 2 red and 4 soft white. This would be about 220. Is this too much?
Something like this
wbwbwbwbwbwbw
bwbwbwbwbwbwbw
wbwbwbwbwbwbw
With a couple reds and soft whites tossed in.

I think that is a good start, I recommended 36 total to start, 3 rows of 4 over each section, with what you have for corals that should be enough light to start and you can always add lights if you need more. I was going to do 20 over my 30 cube.

You are welcome to come see the lights in person before you order them

Thanks again Ray. Wish you were a bit closer....
How did you mount the sockets into the aluminum plate?
Also,
Do you think one plug per 12 sockets would be OK? Oh wait. I would be staggering the whites and blues. I guess I'll worry about that part when the time comes...

Another question. I checked out jk led and all they have a the 4x1watt leds. Everything I have been reading is 3x1watts. These basically the same with 1 xtra watt?

yes they are the same, I have a few of the 4x1 watt ones

mine are not mounted to anything (yet) they are just laying over my fixture with the wires attached to a couple pieces of scrap wood. It looks awful but it was just to test the lights to see how I like them and I have not gotten around to mounting them. I also have no fan and do not think they get hot enough to need one but mine are all in the open and not enclosed in anything so that could make a difference.

Thanks again. If they do not get that hot, is there any reason they couldn't be mounted to a thin board? 6x2xthin or something like that? Or would the sockets get too hot? Think it would be difficult to find a piece of aluminum that size....

I personally think wood is fine, mine do not get that hot (though it's only 4) and they are next to my MH and no fan at all

I have a single warm white mounted to wood over my sump, no fan on that either

The sockets have 2 holes in them that you can screw through them. But mine I just stapled the wires to the wood to keep them from touching the fixture. It is very gheto looking and has been like this for far longer then I like to admit (probably 6-8 weeks)

I'm running 6 (3 white and 3 blue) in one plug now.

One of the problems with these LEDs is that the lenses create blue and white spotlights. I ended up removing the optics to create more blended color. I'm not sure removing optics is a good idea for bigger tanks like yours because par reading is horrible without optics.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?100431-10-gallon-low-tech-softie-tank-build

I just bought 3x3w customized from an ebayer (can I post his name here?). They arrived to my other house -_- so I cannot check if theyr'e correct. But he will do any optics and any color combo OR can do 3x2w dimmable with other customizations. So I got 2blue 1w in each bulb with 60 degree lenses. Little more costly then the 3x1w - but not much. i think I came in at less than $10.50 ea shipped.

To make things easier I also ordered "quick splicers".

Now I just need to get an extension cord, and some screws/washers to mount into acrylic. Im worried about splitting the cord and exposing wire.

Last edited:
So it seems as though wood would work just fine. I googled pictures and it looks as though you just use small screws in through where the leds screw into and screw them directly into wood? Sound about right?
Neya,
That might be cheaper too as I will need less leds. Do they screw right into the standard GU10 socket?
Thanks again!!! I hope I am not being to much of a pain...

Well. Still trying to figure out how many. Was going to go 36, but it seems cheaper to buy in lots of 10. So I was thinking since they are 4x1watts would I be OK with 30 to start? 10 on each 24" section?

The good thing about these is if you build/plan right you can expand to more if needed. Since the shipping by most sellers is included in bulb price it also doesnt add any costs.

Very true......Do you know how many 4x1's you can put on a single run?If I did 30 total to start would it be ok to do 15 whites on one plug and 15 blues on the other?

Very true......Do you know how many 4x1's you can put on a single run?If I did 30 total to start would it be ok to do 15 whites on one plug and 15 blues on the other?

Im not an electrician by any means. I *think* its completely dependant on gauge of wire. The lower the number, the thicker it is, the more it can handle. I do not know how to mathematically figure this out, etc. Theres no maximum when it comes to drivers and such since each bulb has their own driver.

I plan on using standard size household wire if I can, 16-18 gauge, but Im only running 2 bulbs. And I know even thats overkill.

So it seems as though wood would work just fine. I googled pictures and it looks as though you just use small screws in through where the leds screw into and screw them directly into wood? Sound about right?

The reason I use aluminium is to secure ground wire to the fixture. It's more for safety than structural.

GU10 sockets have two screw holes and iirc I used #6-1" screws (and nuts) to secure it.

Back