ANOTHER one of my Acans changed color!!!

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
Week One:
DSC01038.jpg

Week Two:
DSC01049.jpg

Don't get me wrong, i'm by no means complaining as I personally like the orange and it's a fairly uncommon color to see in corals compared to the abundant greens, blues, purples, and pinks, but isn't that something?

Goes to show you that different forms of reef lighting truly does affect coral coloration and also shows just how quickly a coral can change it's colors.

it must have something to do with the lighting, doesnt make sense for it to be anything else.

my rainbow acan did the same thing when i switched to l.e.ds...but it turned white with see through orange and yellow mouths...thought it was dying but it keeps sprouting heads...can't say i like the look now though. You're lucky you got a good morph lol

A white acan eh? That's different. And yeah so far i've gotten lucky where every thing i've added that's changed colors has changed for the better in my opinion. Now if only I could get some super cool color morphs of zoanthids going on... Lol. But zoas hate my tank for whatever reason. It's strange as certain corals love my tank and others hate it but its no specific type. My toadstool leather hates the tank, but my nepthea loves it. My acans love the tank, but my war coral hated it. My Blasto loves the tank, but my zoas and palys hate it. So strange. Basically i'm doing trial and error and what likes it, i'll get more of, and what doesn't, I trade off.

rainbow acans like less light so if u place it under a ledge or where u get less light u can get back the rainbow colors

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

A white acan eh? That's different. And yeah so far i've gotten lucky where every thing i've added that's changed colors has changed for the better in my opinion. Now if only I could get some super cool color morphs of zoanthids going on... Lol. But zoas hate my tank for whatever reason. It's strange as certain corals love my tank and others hate it but its no specific type. My toadstool leather hates the tank, but my nepthea loves it. My acans love the tank, but my war coral hated it. My Blasto loves the tank, but my zoas and palys hate it. So strange. Basically i'm doing trial and error and what likes it, i'll get more of, and what doesn't, I trade off.

That's exactly why I ended up with so many tanks! I have two biocubes and yet they can't grow the same corals. I think a lot of it depends on what other corals are in the tank. They must give off some kind of waste or toxin that certain other corals just don't like.

Well I know some forms of nepthea, colts, leathers, and palys give off toxins that can disturb other corals, but most the coral that failed in my tank, did so before the addition of any "toxic if you will" corals.

I can't even pin point it to some liking "dirtier" water than others because if I keep my water 100% pristine, or let it go a bit "dirty" for a week, the corals look and act exactly the same regardless. So I really don't know.

I think it has to do with flow, lighting, and if you really think about it, tank size. Different volumes of water will put various amounts of pressure on the corals. The more the water volume, the stronger force pushing pressure from all directions.
Think of it as diving deeper into an ocean. Now IDK if tank size is enough to effect a coral with such minimal increments, but it's a thought.

Kinda like my blue hornets (which is now sadly from 7 heads down to 2 :'[ but atleast 2 healthy heads) they are now purple as can be with a green skirt and no blue or any visual ring of color. Lighting makes all the difference in the world considering, hell, they are photosynthetic. ANY and all color they have, comes from the light they intake. They develop their colors to protect them from certain light spectrums (or so i've read).

The change you are experiencing is very common under LED lighting....especially LED heavy in blue. Just be careful, cause the LED's can burn the Acans very easy...which is what it sounds like happened to the "white/bleached" Acan. Ihave watched them turn crazy orange and yellow...then shrivel away and die....just keep a good eye on them and keep them well fed...

Yeah I have plans to move it down to the sandbed as soon as I can get a certain rock the heck out of my tank but nobody seems to want it nor the toadstool mounted to it.

Moved it down to the sand bed and it is happier and more plump than ever! Still orange too which i'm glad!

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

I still have my red acan high up because it for whatever reason LOVES where it is high up.
Cool coloration, like a "War Coral Acan" as a fellow reefer put it at the meeting:
DSC01058.jpg

Also took two Full Tank Shots:

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

Sorry for the dark contrast in the first photo, my ISO setting was a bit off at first.

Wow, nice color change. It was sort of orange in my tank. But my tank was more of a 12-14k look. Glad itd doing well for you.

The change you are experiencing is very common under LED lighting....especially LED heavy in blue. Just be careful, cause the LED's can burn the Acans very easy...which is what it sounds like happened to the "white/bleached" Acan. Ihave watched them turn crazy orange and yellow...then shrivel away and die....just keep a good eye on them and keep them well fed...

thanks for the info. I just moved it into a shaded area so i'll see if that makes it go back to it's original self. The PAR only measured around 100 on the sand bed though so i figured it wasn't bleaching but i'll give this a shot.

I have seen color change often for my LPS.
For example, after I move a colony of dull purple lobo directly under a 250w 14k halide, it turns pink and brighter purple.
I have a brown color acan colony was under t-5 to halide, it starts to show bright green and orange strips.

Yeah it's funny how you can play around with your lighting and coral placement to get different results.

And yeah that poster is indeed very trippy, lol. Had it up since I was in Middle School and somehow never ended up taking it down and now that it's near an actinic light it glows like it's under a blacklight. I kept it up to keep things around the tank as a color reference for when i'm taking photos to make sure while adjusting ISO and everthing that what is on my camera screen is true to what is being photographed in the tank. =] I don't like inaccurate colors and actinic shots and edited photos. Anyone can have a nice tank with photoshop, but it takes work to have a nice tank with a point and shoot camera straight to photobucket lol.

My red also turned orange under my Radion LED light. It's growing and doing great but now orange. Oh well.

That first picture looks like the color I have, have mine under a 150mh. Small head but theres a new one coming in woot :)

Back