Anybody read this yet? Kinda interesting...

I agree it's an interesting thread. My old 75G ran for 7-8 years using just a Hagen 802 as the sump return pump. My current 92G corner has an Iwaki 40 series return, which leads to more overflow noise, and a constant hum while operating (the tank is in my bedroom).

Honestly I've seen little difference between how the two tanks have faired, and I've been thinking about dropping the pump return flow rate to quiet things a bit. I think this may inspire me to get off my butt and actually do it.

The thread on R/C is interesting. Not sure all the arguments make sense, but there seem to be good results, nonetheless. This will make me rethink the size of pump that I was going to do for the return on my sump.

Kent

I agree with the idea. I think having much more flow through your sump than your skimmer pump is rated for is a waste of energy and noise. Keep the flow in the tank with low-power powerheads/tunze, or use a closed loop for flow.

In planning for a basement sump I've been researching external return pumps, and I've been amazed at the range of power consumption of similarly rated pumps. There is LOTS of energy savings to be had by selecting a more efficient pump. I chose a 1400 genX/mak4, which uses 55-100 watts, over a 1400gph Iwaki 40 RLXT which uses over 200 watts! It's about $10 of electricity savings per month!

I wonder if a low flow restriction to a skimmer compartment in a sump would work just as well?

As for the overflow rate, the idea of higher flow "blending" the proteins into the water too much does not make intuitive sense to me, because skimmers typically intake their water below the surface. I would think that the more "blending" that occurred, the more nutrient rich the water that could be fed into the skimmer, resulting in more foam. These types of analyses of such a dynamic system are overly simplistic, though.

Kent

I haven't read the thread, but agree with the principle. It also may reduce microbubbles.
As a matter of fact, I intend to cut my return flow in half when I add the Tunze.

Back