Anybody using captive8 trace elements

Zirky

Non-member
I’m thinking of trace elements and I’m not sure but I think captive8 can use one solution based on a reef lab ICP. Has anyone used this method? Do I need to use there salt and kalk.? Is there a local source for the salt? I would think the shipping cost would be kinda high.

You never really have to buy into any method 100%. They’ll probably recommend that you use their salt and kalk, but any company is going to recommend that you use their brand. Most people who go the ICP + trace route end up minimizing water changes, but if you still plan on doing them frequently it might make sense to use their salt mix which might get you closer to their preferred values (but any quality salt mix should have all of the major and minor ions you’ll need, just maybe not in the ratio that they recommend). Kalk is kalk, some brands might be “more pure”, but as long as you dose the clear solution and avoid any solids/sludge you’ll be fine (a fun article about kalk: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/#8)

What exactly do you mean by “use one solution based on a reef lab ICP” ? With any method that requires ICP testing and trace element dosing, you’ll have to buy individual solutions for each element that needs correction

Back