Anyone collect tropicals near Newport, RI in the fall?

Dtilton

Non-member
I just saw Greg's post about the Aquaman collecting trip and it got me thinking and I didn't want to hijhack that thread. Janet and I dive and snorkel a lot and volunteered at the New England Aquarium and we used to do snorkel trips at Green Bridge in Newport in Aug/Sept and collect spot fin butterflys and other tropicals that come up on the gulfstream. The unfortunate thing is they all die when the water turns cold, so the NEAQ collected them and we often saw many other collectors there as well. Now that we're in the hobby, we were wondering if anyone else collects there?

-D&J

i never have but it sounds like lotsa fun. i've been looking for the closest place to snorkel for stuff to put in the tank.

PG Dive in Newton had an organized "tropical fish hunt" dive down there last fall, I didn't go, but they said it was unsuccessful this year.

I have a friend who goes every year. I'm not sure where she goes but she always gets fish and seahorses.

DT I volunteered at the NEAQ about 5 years ago it was pretty fun. I havent ever collected down there but I'm sure you'd get some goodies. I have a seine net that I've messed around up here with and have gotten a variety of things. I've been told you can get some cool stuff if you take a trip to Nantucket but its probably expensive to get there! Supposedly there are some good places in woods hole to get butterflies and what not. I'd rather just drop some minnow traps and check them a couple days later to test that out.

I go down to jamestown and newport everyday in the summet collecting. Sorry I found you guys all so late.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lol I caught basically every tropical up here by myself. It would of been nice to have had help hahah. Im going out tomorrow with some good people. Not for tropicals but who knows lol

what do you mean by tricky? getting them to eat prepared food & preventing them from starvation?

I have a friend who caught a Kobia and a King Fish while diving in the area a couple of months ago. Since he is not a fish hobbiest, he wants to find them a good home. They are just babies now, but I think they can get pretty big. Do you know anything about them? Are they reef safe? I don't want to take them if they are going to pick at my corals. I used to have a FOWLR, but it turned into a reef. Is anyone else interested in them?

Do you mean Cobia? Does it look like this? cobiajuv.JPG

From Wiki:
"Cobia (Rachycentron canadum)—also known as black kingfish, black salmon, ling, lemonfish, crabeaters, aruan tasek, etc.—are perciform marine fish, the sole representative of their family, the Rachycentridae.

Attaining a maximum length of 2 metres (78 inches) and maximum weight of 68 kilograms (150 pounds), cobia have elongate fusiform (spindle shaped) bodies and broad, flattened heads."

If that's the same fish it's apparently some type of game fish. The largest caught in FL was 103 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I read that article plus many more. They are really cute in the tank as babies, but I worry they will grow too big for me. My friend, Michael, is a very experienced diver who likes to rescue fish, but I think he's at maximum capacity. If anyone is interested in adopting these fish let me know.

What else does he have. I know of an aquarium that will take them. What else besides the cobia?

Back