Anyone Ever Use a Reef-Filler?

I use one and it works excellent. Aquaman_68 uses one also and he pushes his KW makeup up to another floor and pretty far away with no issues. It makes some noise though, ours in the basement so we dont care.

It seems like it would be great for auto-top off (especially from far away). Do you have the version that can be used for water changes? I'm wondering how that works. I read on RC that it's noisy - mine would be in my basement too - not a concern.

Thanks!

it says it eliminates the need of float switches. but then you need to constantly adjust it to match the evaporation rate (which I assume is not constant), right?

Yes, that's right. You have to find the "right" dosing rate to match your evaporation rate. But that shouldn't change on a daily basis - it really only changes seasonally. I use a Kangaroo pump now which operates on the same principle - and it works fine. But I'm thinking for the future - I want to move the pump far away from my tank - the Kangaroo needs to be near the tank or sump where you're pumping into.

I'm really curious about how the Reef-Filler does water changes...

Thanks for the link Armando! It seems that Randy is using one for water changes too. I wonder how fast/slow they are. Maybe Randy will read this and chime in....

you then saw Randy's reply

Yes, but Randy's sample size is n=1. Mine was n=3 or so.

The original Reef Filler pump that I bought 9+ years ago and have used continuously for limewater is still going strong.

About 10 months ago I bought a dual head Reef Filler for water changes, and it too has worked well.

Maybe you are just hell on pumps, Greg. I've not heard of too many folks with failures after 2 years.

end quote.

all I can say is I like mine, its rugged and Greg has his own opinion.

I'm using this one (Demand Pump) in the store. Right now only for water changes, But it's intended use will be to top off my 3 main systems independently yet from a common source 40ft (tubing length) away.
It runs very quiet, I can't say how reliable because I've only run a few hundred gallons with it.

Yaktop - I saw the whole thread (and debate). It seems more people like that pump than not. Thanks for the input.

Marc - will you be using it to dose kalk in your top-off? That site doesn't give too much info on the pump. Can it be used for a slow drip? I'm just thinking if I HAVE to put everything under the tank, I won't have a lot of room for a big bucket of top-off water - I'd like to keep that remote.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, it will dose through Kalk stirrers. One on each system.
I have done some experimenting with cutting back the flow. The pump is a demand pump so back pressure shuts it off. My concern was that cutting it back too far would trip it off, but it seems like it will be ok.

Last edited:
Reef Filler

I bought a Reef Filler from Champion about a month ago and have been using it, in conjunction with my kalkwasser reactor, and it works great. I seems like a really rugged, well built pump that will last a long time.

One thing to consider if you buy one is that there are different models with different max daily flow rates. Champion advised me to buy the one that most closely matches my evaporation rate. Otherwise, they said it could be difficult to adjust the pump to match the tank's evaporation rate. However, I only dose kalk and add top off at night over a period of 12 hours so I made sure to buy the one that would pump enough in 12 hours to match my evaporation rate. Anyway, you might want to talk to Champion regarding this, or do more research, and make sure you buy the appropriate pump.

starrfish said:
Yaktop - I saw the whole thread (and debate). It seems more people like that pump than not. Thanks for the input.

Marc - will you be using it to dose kalk in your top-off? That site doesn't give too much info on the pump. Can it be used for a slow drip? I'm just thinking if I HAVE to put everything under the tank, I won't have a lot of room for a big bucket of top-off water - I'd like to keep that remote.

Thanks!

water changes

The water change model is just a 2 head pump....one head removes water from your sump and sends it to wherever, and the other tops off your sump with make-up water

starrfish said:
I'm really curious about how the Reef-Filler does water changes...

As far as the pump being dialed in during the seasons....It's really a peice of cake. Just have to move it up a couple notches in the dial. There is notches in the dial to adjust & I only adjust it once in the spring & once in the fall. Chuck is correct in regards to matching your pump as close as possible to your top off needs. (within reason...If you use no more than 3 gals per day but roughly around 1.5 gals per day I would suggest the 1000-1 If your going with a double head for water changes as well I beleive you have to go with a min of 6.5 gals per day model 2000-2) The higher the pump you use the more sensitive adjustments will be because they all have the same throw on the dial. They have models in the single head that will do- 1,7,15,24,30 gpd & the double head which has an additional head for water changes has models of -2,14,18,30 gpd. I also believe they can have a special made one to your needs as well but you will have to call them for that info.

B

Back