Anyone have a Giesemann Spectra?

I think you should call up Jesse or post on the RC about your uncertainty.
A 250w DE is comparable to a 400w SE from what I heard and seen.

Monday.
My cabinet is gray so the fixture has to be gray. I think white would be a little funky.
For you, I think the Ferrari Orange or Red would be tits. :D
It's too bad they don't make Hot pink. That was my suggestion for you. :D

Monday.
My cabinet is gray so the fixture has to be gray. I think white would be a little funky.
For you, I think the Ferrari Orange or Red would be tits. :D
It's too bad they don't make Hot pink. That was my suggestion for you. :D

I'm more into the softer purples... lavender is very soothing and inviting. :p It depends on my mood.

The other concern with the Planet II is the four 39W T5s. I don't think it'd be enough supplemental.

led lighting

how about the led lighting looks nice except for the price but i guess if you figure the cost of running it compared to halides and supplemental lighting and replacing bulbs constantly seems like it would not take to long to pay off i am thinking about changing to something else i like the led or maybe the constellation by aquatinics 14 39 watt t5 in the six foot fixture but again replacing bulbs looking for something cheaper to run my electric bill is killing mehttp://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LED_Lighting/AquaIllumination_LED_Light_Systems/

Last edited:
how about the led lighting looks nice except for the price but i guess if you figure the cost of running it compared to halides and supplemental lighting and replacing bulbs constantly seems like it would not take to long to pay off i am thinking about changing to something else i like the led or maybe the constellation by aquatinics 14 39 watt t5 in the six foot fixture but again replacing bulbs looking for something cheaper to run my electric bill is killing mehttp://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LED_Lighting/AquaIllumination_LED_Light_Systems/

The LED fixtures look really nice. What I keep hearing is that they're not quite where they need to be in terms of light output. Even shops that sell them have told me that. If someone is committed to a mixed reef then they're fine. But for SPS dominant tanks, halides and T5s are better options.

BTW, if I stick with retros, I'm liking this:

lightrack1.jpg

pendant2.jpg

Even though the builder of that rack told me that the light is contained, I have a hard time believing that there isn't a considerable amount of light bleeding out from the tank. He does have it hanging low, but still those Lumenarcs put out a ton of light. Since this is going in my living room, across from the TV, I'm seriously considering a fixture.

That thing is awesome. Light bleed out looks like a concern.

It's gotta be. He angled his T5 reflectors in a little and again, it's all very low over his tank. But I can't see how it doesn't let out a ton of light at least immediately around his tank. I still like it very much though.

this is me said:
I'm reading a lot of negative on the LED light especially the Solaris. Seems like there's a huge problem with the power supply and no one is answering. I would stay away from it for now.

I wasn't even considering an LED fixture. But that's too bad that customers are being left out to dry, especially with what they dropped on one of those things.

BTW Nick, no answer from Elos yet. But I did talk to what's his name... ;) He said that the 2 x 250W Planet II would not be enough light for a 72 x 30 a 25 tank. I knew I was right. :p

i did read those articles about pfo but there are a few other manufactures out there on the led i do like the aquatinics constellation t5 fixture very low profile may be not enough light for you though

i did read those articles about pfo but there are a few other manufactures out there on the led i do like the aquatinics constellation t5 fixture very low profile may be not enough light for you though

Depending on how many bulbs it should be fine. The ATI fixtures are very nice. But I want a MH/T5 combo.

I just heard from Jesse at Elos and it doesn't look like a Planet II is going to work. They're more or less designed for their 5' 160XL and anything in the 4' range. He suggested two Planet I fixtures. But I'm wondering if that's a gamble.

They look pretty cool. They're very Star Trek-esque. :) Apparently the fixtures only come with 150W HID lamps. Have you seen them on? Do you know what the 72" fixture sells for?

The Aqauticlife fixture is very cool looking. There are a few things to be aware of though. They only come with 150 watt HID bulbs there are no 250 watt version. They are planning on possible making one in the future. The bulb temp is 700+ (Compare to 6500K) It is very yellow. They are looking into getting a 14k bulb but none were available (US anyway) yet as far as I could find. The HID reflectors are like spot lights (Very cool how they can be moved in any direction) but there was questions as to spread being good for on a 24" wide tank. I think it would be awesome on a 55 or 70 though.

Sucks about the Solaris. I was hoping the new version would be better. I was actually considering it.

I don't know man. It's hard for me to imagine that fixture will have problem lighting an extra 6" on the each side.
Raise up the fixture and I think you should be okay with a 6footer. You notice how low the fixture is in the picture?
Have you looked at the Geiseman 72" fixture?
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...oduct~GL1581~idCategory~FILTFIMHMTMDMLM8.html
The problem with Geiseman I found is that the service support is not great. And with that price you might as well go with 3 Planet I.
I don't know, when I get my Planet I. You're more than welcome to try it on your tank to see if Two of the planet I will cover it.

Nick, here's a pic of the Planet II over a 5' 160XL.

ElosPlanetIIOver160XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back